V70 99 electricity issue when starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 99 electricity issue when starting

When I start my V70 99 (2.5 TDi) only window/mirror heating, turn lights, daytime/nightime lights, fog lights, central lock and interior lights work, rest of the electric devices (audio, air conditioner/heater, opening/closing windows, vipers, screen wash pumps, horn, dashboard lights) start working after ~10-15min when the engine is on. When weather is warmer and less humid it takes less time. It also takes less time if I run my engine on higher revolutions (1500-2000) for some time before driving. When only the ignition is on it can take up to 30min for all electric devices to start working. When I make a quick stop, switch of the engine and ignition it takes just few seconds or couple minutes for them to be working.
My bold guess there is some connection(-s) that are affected by oxidation or just badly connected.
Service diagnostic PC shows no errors. Does anyone have any ideas where and what to look for?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Received 588 Likes on 554 Posts

You have a bad ignition switch. Have replaced hundreds for that problem. The accessory contact cam inside the switch is slightly melted. Try turning the key back (toward off) a few degrees to get things working until you can get a replacement. Easy DIY replacement.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
You have a bad ignition switch. Have replaced hundreds for that problem. The accessory contact cam inside the switch is slightly melted. Try turning the key back (toward off) a few degrees to get things working until you can get a replacement. Easy DIY replacement.

Couldn't ever imagine the problem is there. It worked as you said, but not so flawlessly. On cold start I have to run the engine for couple minutes and then increase engine revolutions to 1500-1800 and turn on rear window viper. Will get it changed and hope this annoying problem will be gone. Many many thanks

Old 01-03-2023, 08:44 AM

I've replaced ignition switch, but the problem continues. Btw my ignition switch if different from the one you showed, see attached pic.

Is there any other suggestions?

Old 01-03-2023, 11:00 AM
Received 588 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinas
rest of the electric devices (audio, air conditioner/heater, opening/closing windows, vipers, screen wash pumps, horn, dashboard lights) start working after ~10-15min when the engine is on.
Most of those electrical functions (except the horn) get their power from relay 2/30 in position 105. Note that relay powers fuses 30-36 and 37 which is a circuit breaker for the windows. When stuff is not working check for power at those fuses. Current goes directly from terminal x on the ignition switch to turn relay 2/30 on. Perhaps there's a relay with the same part number on it - to swap and test with. (106 might be the same )

And/or - check for melted/high resistance connection under the nut that clamps the 4 red wires coming from the positive battery terminal. Have found many melted wires under that nut in the fuse box.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:20 AM

Most of those electrical functions (except the horn) get their power from relay 2/30 in position 105. Note that relay powers fuses 30-36 and 37 which is a circuit breaker for the windows. When stuff is not working check for power at those fuses. Current goes directly from terminal x on the ignition switch to turn relay 2/30 on. Perhaps there's a relay with the same part number on it - to swap and test with. (106 might be the same )

And/or - check for melted/high resistance connection under the nut that clamps the 4 red wires coming from the positive battery terminal. Have found many melted wires under that nut in the fuse box.

This is it. Replacing relay was what my V70 needed. Million thanks to you.
May God send you twins. Twice!
Thanks for all your help!