2001 V70 Transmission AW 55-50

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 V70 Transmission AW 55-50

I have a 2001 V70 that just started having tranny issues. It runs great when the fluid is cold and when at operating temperature it starts to ****** into 2 and 3 and downshifting is hard as well. Gears 3-4-5 are fine. It has flared into neutral for several seconds before shifting into 2nd while the tires screeched hard. The car has 136,000 miles and I've only had it six months. I did take it to Volvo for other issues and they put in the upgraded software for free. The neutral issues was resolved but that's when the other aforementioned issues started. The tranny did get stuck in 3rd and would not downshift into 2nd or 1st. When it was cold, the tranny was fine again. I have not heard any metal to metal yet so the whole tranny may not needed to be rebuilt or replaced. If I replace the B4 Servo plate cover, and the three solenoids in the valve body, would this correct the issue or what??? A valve body at Volvo here in GA is $1400 plus tax just for the part. The cheapest used tranny is $1500 plus $800 to install. I know for sure that I cannot afford a new tranny plus install. Any help would be appreciated greatly!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Based on your symptoms, I'd guess that a B4 servo cover and three linear solenoids would have a very good chance of fixing your problem. That is, if you haven't done damage because of the flare (don't like the "screeching tires" reference - that can't be good on the clutch plates at all). And of course, I'd make certain the fluid level is correct - low fluid can induce a whole host of problems.

But - assuming you do the work yourself - you'd be looking at spending 4-5 hours and around $300 vs. $3000 for an installed (used or rebuilt) tranny. That, and a flush with new fluid using the IPD "kit" will very likely have your tranny shifting OK again, assuming you haven't damaged anything by keeping your foot down when it flares (I got pretty good at feathering the throttle so a passenger wouldn't even notice the 2-3 flare).

Another option is the "kit" to rebuild the three linear solenoids - I was going to get one of those before my tranny fixed itself (THAT doesn't happen very often), presumably some of the metal particles were liberated from the solenoid bores when I didn't drive the car for 10 days). The "kit" costs only around $70, but will take more time than new solenoids... but should return them to "like new" operation by cleaning out the bores.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Default 2001 V70 Transmission AW 55-50

Thank you for your response. I am pretty good with mechanics but I do not have many tools. I am a disabled veteran so I would probably have my neighbor do the work and I could assist him. I can take the car back to Volvo to take care of the computer relearning and software issues for free. Are there any specialty tools that are needed? You are suggesting I get the solenoids from Ebay? I know there is a link here for the cover w/ great instructions but I haven't researched the other parts and how to guide. If you have a link for such, I would appreciate it!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Here is a link to a kit to repair your solenoids: AW55 50SN Shift Kit Transgo RE5F22A 55 50 AF33 5 Solenoid Volvo SK 5550 | eBay

... and a kit to replace them: AW55 50 AW55 51 AF33 5 Transmission Linear Solenoid Set Kit SLS SLT SLU Maxima | eBay

Looks like the price for the three linear solenoids has come down a bit...

I'm not going to say those are the best vendors or products, but they seem to have good feedback. My recollection is that either option isn't a horrible job, though it does require twisting the engine around a bit to get enough room to get the "pan" off the transmission. I had to do the same thing with a 2003 VW Jetta turbo wagon, but that required a lot more work, including removing the exhaust system and supporting the engine from underneath.

The B4 servo cover kit from IPD has great instructions - really a good buy, IMHO.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A used transmission is risky, as all had issues. Look for 2003-5 if you go this way, the 2001-2 were too problematic. I would suggest going for the servo cover first Ebay link, it's an easier job and it seems to be more involved with the transmission flares. THe are several writtings on forum about replacement tips, worth a look. Then if it doesn't solve, replace the three solenoids - not that hard of a job - and have them adjusted properly,

Last edited by oragex; 05-11-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Default B4 Servo and linear solenoids

To follow up, AAMCO tells me that the linear solenoids are permanently attached to the valve body and can't be changed. Let me tell you this, I can't afford $1400 plus tax for a valve body from Volvo, and then pay to put it in. The AAMCO tech says it will only be $200 for the install if I bring in my own part and ask for no warranty. I will give you my VIN so we can be sure that we are talking about the same POS transmission. YV1SW61N012067489.
I will try the B4 Servo cover after they diagnose the issue at AAMCO for free. I am just not happy having to spend a half day because they are so busy. They have all the info and equipment to evaluate my POS tranny. Let's see where this goes....I pray for the cheap and effective route.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Sounds like AAMCO is wrong. I say that based not on my own disassembly of my valve body (since I didn't have to do it), but based on the reports from plenty of other folks who DID remove and replace the bad linear solenoids in their transmissions. There are videos of the process floating around. Draw your own conclusion.

$200 doesn't sound like a bad price for swapping out the solenoids (figuring a couple hundred more for the solenoids themselves) but I'd be VERY skeptical about AAMCO's intentions and/or knowledge. Either the tech you're talking to is confused (could be), or he could be flat out lying to you. If it's the former, he might successfully put in the new solenoids and you'd likely (not guaranteed) have a sweet-shifting tranny. Or, it could be possible that his plan is to take your $200, wait a day, and then call you up and say "the new solenoids didn't help, but I can sell you a rebuilt tranny for $X,000, and I'll even credit the $200 toward that cost".

Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 AM
Old 05-15-2014, 04:10 AM

01-02 s60,s80 and v70 are plagued with slipping transmission problems. After scouring this site for years. I have yet to find someone who has not had to replace the transmission or buy a salvaged one from a 03 or later model.

I have seen many members advise a fluid flush etc. From my perspective I am not a mechanic. But I have read extensively on this as I had to buy a salvaged transmission from a 03 v70 for my 02 s60. Same chassis, transmission etc.

It is all a waste of money and will not solve your issues. These transmission should have been recalled by Volvo but never were. I consider these a money pit. Most of them if you take it to a transmission shop they will say they find metal particles in the transmission fluid.

I feel you for not being able to afford a replacement etc. But I would not throw good money after bad. Scour threw the previous 8 or so years of comments on these era vehicles. It is not a good look.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM

stop_at_willoughby's comments are interesting, but I think aimed at a subset of those of us who have experienced what could be called "slipping" transmissions.

If you have a transmission that is slipping AFTER IT SHIFTS INTO GEAR, then I think his advice is probably valid... the alternative to a new (hopefully, improved 2003 or later) transmission would be to rebuild the worn unit and hope for the best. That's quite possible, but is a whole new level of effort, complexity and risk.

BUT, if the "slip" is actually a "flare" then I would strongly suggest ignoring the advice to replace the transmission, since there are plenty of us who have successfully repaired a transmission with a flare, whether by simply replacing the $30 external B4 servo cover, or rebuilding or replacing the linear solenoids (also much, much cheaper and easier than replacing the transmission).

To clarify - a transmission with a flare will seemingly slip into neutral between some shifts, usually followed by a jarring bump into gear if you don't feather the throttle to prevent the engine from revving up during the flare. The "thump" when it finally does shift indicates that the clutch plates are still quite capable of doing their job, an hopefully haven't been damaged by ignoring a flare (and not attempting to minimize it by letting off the throttle). If the transmission slips at all WHILE IN GEAR, then you do have bigger problems and should consider a new or rebuilt transmission.

Hope that helps a bit (and prevents someone with a $30 problem turning it into a transmission replacement).

Old 05-16-2014, 05:23 AM

I appreciate everyones' input in regards to my POS tranny. The transmission only has trouble shifting in between gears. It has never slipped out of a gear. I am taking it to AAMCO this morning to read the codes and put in some programming to reflect new fluid and whatever else I may need. When I do the work, I will take it to Volvo to reset the programming for free. I am grateful that these places are willing to help me for free. I can't do any work until the first of the month, but I will certainly take in all of the advice and start with the B4 servo cover, and then the linear solenoids if need be. I hope it all works so I do not have to borrow money to replace the tranny. Would someone please tell me if I will lose fluid while changing the cover or solenoids? I will read up and watch the videos around the time that I get the parts. I thank each and every one of you for your input! Has anyone ever had to replace the five shift solenoids on the 01-02 tranny?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 PM

There is a process to reset the computer to reflect changing the fluid, and for resetting the TCM so it can re-learn how to shift the transmission. I tried both of these while my transmission was still flaring between 2-3, and I think it helped a little. But it does also require some very specific driving time to retrain the transmission. I doubt AAMCO will be doing this as it involves tooling around for 30 minutes or more, driving very specific parameters while your tranny learns how to shift again.

At any rate, you have to do a "training drive" when you replace the B4 servo cover, too. In fact, my flare was as bad as ever after I replaced the B4 servo cover (to fix my FIRST 2-3 flare) but faded away in about 15 minutes driving around the neighborhood. I'd strongly recommend doing the servo cover before any other service, just because it's cheap and easy, and may well fix your problems.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Default TCC solenoid

I got my car out to Autozone and my local mechanic shop. I know Autozone ran the cheap scanner but not the mechanic shop. They both tell me that I need a TCC solenoid. I never had problems with the tranny until the shop replaced my fluid. I think some of the slug clogged various parts of the tranny. Please send me a link on the part to purchase online and how to replace, or do I need to take it to a shop?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM

You can easily do a search for "linear solenoid" and find what you're looking for. It isn't a huge job, and is a LOT easier than swapping the transmission (and cheaper, too). Whether or not you're capable of the job is entirely up to you. It's not rocket science, but it's a whole lot tougher than changing your oil. Find the links, check out the instructions and you make the call.

I've read many stories about transmission shops flushing the fluid in an old transmission followed by the tranny failing. That's why I like the IPD kit's "flush" option - it doesn't introduce any new or unusual fluid patterns inside the transmission - it just routes the fluid going to / from the radiator to a container. You'll never mess up your transmission doing it that way, and for the price of 10 or 12 quarts of fluid, you'll have essentially changed all your tranny fluid.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM

I have the link for the linear solenoids. Are they the same as the tcc solenoids? Also, I lost the link on ebay for the b4 servo cover. I am trying to order the cover today. All these threads got my head spinning. Thank you!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM

I think the AAMCO shop is mixing the terms... FWIW, it looks like it's virtually always the linear solenoids that go bad, so that's where I'd go first IF the B4 servo cover doesn't work.

For the servo cover, just order the "kit" from IPD. I'm not sure about any other option, and the IPD part was still dirt cheap and worked for me, partially due to the great directions.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 AM

Thank you. I found the link to IPD and ordered the cover yesterday. It was shipped and should be here tomorrow. I will see if that works, then replace the linear solenoids if need be.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 PM

I have a 2001xc 70 with all the symptoms addressed in this forum, I have quotes of 5200bucks to install a Volvo backed tranny.
will a 2003 fit my 2001??

Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 PM

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/vol...missions-guide

Last edited by difflock54; 06-05-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Default How'd it go

Originally Posted by Jonathan L Rinehart
Thank you. I found the link to IPD and ordered the cover yesterday. It was shipped and should be here tomorrow. I will see if that works, then replace the linear solenoids if need be.
I'd love to know how things went.

BTW: I looked up "How to replace a linear solenoide" and found a very good explaination at:

G/box: AW50151AWD: - How to repair/replace the linear solenoids on aw55-50/51sn - Volvo Owners Club Forum

Quick Reply: 2001 V70 Transmission AW 55-50