Any possible MPG improvments/other upgrades to a new old V70XC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any possible MPG improvments/other upgrades to a new old V70XC?

So I just got a new/used 2001 V70XC it's in immaculate condtition with a slew of new parts, including the transmission.

I have some experience with the non XC plain V70, lower ride height, better handling, etc.

I'm sorta shocked on how bad the gas mileage is on the XC, I do a lot of country Connecticut hilly roads, etc. living/commuting from a river valley area and also in traffic.

1.) Are there any fancy shmancy upgrades that wouldn't sacrifice reliability or require a degree in computer science/mechanical engineering, say some trick IPD parts perhaps, that can improve MPGs on this car? If I could get closer to high 20's I'd be happy, but I'm at about 21 mpg now. Some more ponies wouldn't hurt either... maybe I'd be better off getting a turbo V70, I just don't know... suspension upgrades might also improve the handling characteristics as I call this the station wagon that drives like a full size truck....

I would like to do as much preventive maintenance to this car as possible to help keep it in top shape, I'm weary of the "FordVos" having just bought my first one after being a lifelong '85-'95 redblock wagon owner, I've had six of them over the years...

I'm also curious about the sound system, I've heard that they can be tricky, I'm constantly listening to music, and I have a single Polk Audio kicker, for true music representation, I don't need to rattle my windows and I have a 3.5 year old Son and a 3 yr old petbull too... But when it's just me and the open road the volume goes way up. No MP3 jack is kind of crummy, and the tape cassette adapter is pretty bush league.

I know there's a GROM unit but I've only seen it listed for post '07 cars... I may just call IPD and see what's up, FCP is also only about 15 minuets from my house so... I'm checking here first though.

As always thanks for any advice/experience passed on, it's always appreciated folks.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Start with the basics- spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter.

You could try some new oxygen sensors, but go with Volvo ones. Not sure the cost would be worth it if they aren't setting codes yet.

And rest easy- Ford had nothing to do with your car aside from owning the company at that time.