Oil Spewing out PCV hose to Pre-Throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Spewing out PCV hose to Pre-Throttle body

Hello all,

I am new to the volvo life and decided to buy a 2001 Volvo V70 (2.4L non turbo FWD). I got it not running so good start there. Replaced the plugs and got it to run, after a warm up I noticed heaps of blue smoke pouring out the back. I did some diag and found that the PCV hose that connects to the intake hose post filter pre throttle body was spewing tons of oil back into the intake and thus burning crap tons of oil. I went ahead and took off the intake manifold to get to the catch can to see whats up. I took it off and noticed the exit port that returns the oil back to the pan was completely clogged. I unclogged it best I could and reassembled. Same issue. I took it apart again and cleaned out all the hoses attached to the system and ensured all the port wernt clogged. No change. I ended up trying to replace the system, no change. I then thought that it could be the head gasket. I replaced that and cleaned out all the crud oil that was crusted onto everything. It seems like the previous owner didnt take too much care of this car. I got everything put back together and I still had oil shooting out of the hose! I cant seem to find anything on google but maybe im not looking up the right keywords. I cant think of anything else that it could be. I dont want to keep throwing money at this car to have the same issue come up. It just seems that there is excessive blow by pressure in the valve cover. So much so that its pushing all of its oil out into the PCV catch can and over flowing into the intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 10-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I missed this when you posted it.

I'm guessing you had to drop the oil pan and clean the "bottom of oil catch box to crankcase" passage thoroughly.

I've heard you can't do it from outside the engine but I do not know.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Better to take the pan off. It's less work than trying to clean it from above, and you can swap the oil pickup tube seal and o-rings too. You should not have a lot of flow through that hose, so that is worrisome. Getting the oil draining down would certainly be good, but I'm not sure if it's good enough or not. I guess if you were willing to do a head gasket "just in case" you should be willing to pull the pan and clean that out.

If there really is flow coming out that hose, though, you might have a holed piston. If a piston burns on the edge you might not immediately notice it, even with the head off. A compression test would show that.