v70 -H7 headlight socket melted/broken

Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v70 -H7 headlight socket melted/broken

I have read about problems with the v70 headlights, -especially low beam
and I too have a meted or rotted plastic socket body where the H7 lightbulb
plugs into. So I've had to plug the male blades of H7 bulb into 2 separate piece of the broken socket; should I buy and replace the socket with the high temp. socket replacement ? and what brand - please any help ?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to the forum and saw your old post but I'll reply even though you've probably handled things.

I had a similar situation happen to my 98 S70 T5. I purchased 3rd party bulbs on the internet and they snapped in normally. The problem I had later was that even though they said they we're a certain "lumens" they probably weren't "rated" properly and they got so hot they melted the bracket.

I spent $12 shipped for the bulbs which I thought was a steal at the time. I later had to have a Mechanic repair the MELTED MESS because they we're too powerfull and replace them with Volvo parts.

In my opinion.

I would go with what the Factory Recommends. I'm by far NOT A MECHANIC and a less than average mechanical person.....but I learned from that experience that sometimes with the Volvo you should just go with the Volvo parts....etc.. (specifically the Volvo Bulbs) They are expensive but in my situation I would have saved a lot of headache and cash not to mention the time of dealing with it if I just went with what Volvo placed in there.

especially the lights........gotta have those work properly right? Not sure If I helped with your question or not.....

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM

go to eeuroparts.com and buy the H7 socket...its cheap cut and splice boom its fixed
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/52578/H7-Socket-7444/

Last edited by Volvo_Neps; 10-03-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clamjuice
I had a similar situation happen to my 98 S70 T5. I purchased 3rd party bulbs on the internet and they snapped in normally. The problem I had later was that even though they said they we're a certain "lumens" they probably weren't "rated" properly and they got so hot they melted the bracket.
Something is fishy here. Bulbs are rated by watts and two 55 watt bulbs are both going to get to about the same temp, no matter who made them.

The car that I just bought was always serviced at the dealer and the H7 sockets were destroyed by heat.

I just bought a pair of replacement ceramic sockets on ebay. It should take less than half an hour to splice the wires (nice neat solder joints).

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One
Something is fishy here. Bulbs are rated by watts and two 55 watt bulbs are both going to get to about the same temp, no matter who made them.

The car that I just bought was always serviced at the dealer and the H7 sockets were destroyed by heat.

I just bought a pair of replacement ceramic sockets on ebay. It should take less than half an hour to splice the wires (nice neat solder joints).
What I am thinking due to age this is what happens to the socket, both mine are have just fallen apart and the RH socket burnt out and wont light up the low beam bulb. I will be dealing with this tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah bud....not sure to be honest with you....I don't know much about it; I was just telling you my experience.

It seemed similar to yours.............

Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One

Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Default Headlight socket issue

Volvo blew this issue big time.

First, they insist that the headlights must be on all the time.

Then the plastic connectors to the bulbs are second rate plastic.

So, after a while the bulbs burn out and the connectors always fail when you pull them off of the bulbs.

A heat resistant nylon connector may have cost 10 cents more.

Thank you Volvo bean counters for saving that few Volvo cents that now is a gigantic PIA for us Volvo owners.