V70 Radio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 Radio Replacement

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 V70 with a pretty messed up radio unit. It seems like the previous owner spilled a drink of some kind on it so now the ***** will turn the volume up or down while being turned clockwise, whatever it feels like doing. The current unit has a CD player but no cassette tape. So, I have found some replacement radio units from junked cars that seem like they would fit and fix the volume and tuning issues and give me the option of a cassette tape (with AUX cord so I can finally listen to things aside from the radio). I have heard that there are some codes that I need to have in order to make everything work. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Can I do this in my garage with normal tools (no computers)? Can I get a replacement radio unit with a cassette and cd player?

Thanks for your time and help!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Update: I have found the model number of my current radio (the one with just a cd player), it is model HU-803 and I would like to replace it with HU-613 (radio/cd/tape combo). Still looking for some advice on the need to go to a dealer to change internal software or if I can just install the new radio and would be good to go.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

you will need the four digit security code. They are associated with the VIN of the original car, but usually when resold they code will be written on the radio body. If you buy another Volvo factory radio, make sure you either have the code or the VIN from the donor car. I doubt if a dealer will be able to reprogram. the rest will be plug and play.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM

Thank you very much for the help MT. I have one more question. In reading about how to do this, it is clearly super easy, it took me less than 10 minutes to take my stereo head out, get the model number, and replace it. The only thing that I am stuck on is this four digit code thing. I know that I need to get it when I order a replacement, but what do I need to do with it? Is there some software changes that need to be made by a dealer/volvo shop?

Thank you again for the help, this will make my upcoming 30+ hour drive from Ohio to Maine and back a lot nicer.