2002 V70 XC Turbo Stalled and won't stay running

Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 V70 XC Turbo Stalled and won't stay running

I am hoping someone here may be able to help. My 2002 V70 XC (AWD Turbo) has been running rough for quite a while. Usually it is okay, but sometimes is rough at idle, and hiccups while running down the road.

The other day coming come, I went to pull out into traffic, and when doing moving into a turn lane (decelerating after a rapid acceleration), it stalled. I had a very difficult time getting it restarted.

Once I did, it did not want to stay running. I tried giving it some a little gas, but that didn't work consistently. Once I did get it running enough to get it home, it did not act like it wanted to shift. It would occasionally up shift, then shift back down and stay at a high RPM speed.

As I got near my home, it stalled, I could not get it stay running. It will start, run for about 20 seconds, and then stall. It does not respond consistently to trying to add fuel.

I have already replaced the alternator (I have had many problems with the alternator on this vehicle), and that has not resolved it. Any thoughts on what may have gone bad? AT this point I don't trust it to try to drive to my closest auto parts store to have the codes pulled...but I was told the OBD II doesn't pull all the codes on a volvo.

UPDATE: So I put some HEET in the gas tank (one person I spoke with thought maybe water in the gas), and cleaned the MAF with some MAF cleaner. It started, but still wanted to stall. I revved the engine a bit, and it seemed to even out. This was last night. Got up to go to work this morning, no problems. When to leave work tonight, and same thing is happening, starting, but stalling within a few seconds. I revved the engine again for a bit, and it seemed to even out. While trying to rev the engine, it did not respond consistently to the pressure on the accelerator.

I did have the ODBII codes pulled on the way home, even though I knew it most likely would not turn up anything helpful to the problem. Had the same 5 codes it's had for a year:
P0245
P0445
P0448
P2401
P2090

Any thoughts on this? Is it water in the tank, or possibly something else? It doesn't seem to me like it is a failing part being the problem is intermittent, but I am no expert, especially on Volvo's.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the fuel filter and check vacuum hoses.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 V70XC stalling

did you get anywhere with this ???? i've the same problem now, i replaced the fuel filter last year, not many miles on it, i keep the battery on a trickle charge,, used to be when it was cold, it ran fine, now when cold stalls twice coming out of the driveway, hes HOLD THE PRESSES,,,, i just got off the phone with a volvo mechanic .... mass air flow sensor ... disconnected it, and car ran fine, started right up, i put the plug back in while running, backed up, stalled right away, took plug off, went for a drive ... NP ... when getting another from a yard, the numbers much match ... good luck