Long term issue turned serious (Starts then starves out)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term issue turned serious (Starts then starves out)

Hello all, first time posting. Hope you can help.

A well maintainted 2005 XC70 was given to us and was lwnt out to family. After two years of lending it out to family, it came back in hard shape.
It has over 330k miles on it, mostly highway and the body is clean by northeast calcium winter standards.

Since the vehicle was lent out, there were a couple of times when the car just would not start. It would crank but not fire.
After a few tries, it would. Sometimes it took longer with no explanation.

Was told they pulled and pushed back in ALL of the fuses and then it would restart.... Go figure...

After the car came back to my possession, I gave it to another child who put a lot of money and work in it.
The most worthy to mention was the fuel pump and the timing belt. It was over 100,000 miles since the last belt was put in and felt better safe then sorry.

The not start issue was also randomly happening now in my other childs possession. No spark plugs, sensors of any kind or wires have been replaced.
I dont say thing becuase I think that's what the problem is, just making sure to cover all information.

The reason for the fuel pump replacement was because the current owner is horrible for running it near empty and we assumed it just burned out.

Any way, the main symptoms now I'm mainly concerned about at the moment goes like this:

Insert key turn on, give second for lights to go, attempt to turn engine over. It succeeds immediately, runs strong for a second or more and then dies like its starving for gas.
I can do this 10 or more times in a row and the same thing happens except it takes a shorter amount of time for the starving and dying to happen. No sputtering, no shaking just Blllllaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.
Can even get it to high revolutions with the pedal down and again just dies.

We let it set for a couple of days and this time it ran longer. More than 10 seconds. They claim almost a minute and then dies just the same.

I tried the following "tricks"
180 degree key flip
turn on till dash lights go through check up and then back off. Repeat 5 times, Start
Use Valet key
Use a different keyfob
insert key and strike key with rubber mallet.

Why did I try these things?
Because before I towed it to my house, one of the MANY times my child tried was mentioned IMMOBILIZER something so I tried to see if it was the ignition clyinder keyring thing that people talked about.

So, yeah, no luck.

Before I go buy and try to install a new immobilizer, starter cylinder thing and possibly a CEM, anyone have any suggestions on what to try before I dump money into parts and start guessing by eliminating parts?

Thanks for all help and my apologies for being so "thorough".

What we were told when we got it for free:

"Here's what it says on my "recommended service":
PCV $980
Cam seals/T-Belt/Intake VVT $1600
RF Driveshaft $960
Driveshaft $1700
Water Pump $450
Headlight buff $260
and will need tires before winter driving"

What been fixed/replaced:

Front wheel bearings (ABS light)
Front struts
Rear drive shaft
Windshield
Wiper Transmission
Rear Wipe Arm
Front CV Axles
Axle/Bevel Gear
Timing Belt and Water Pump

What will be fixed once starter issue resolved:

1) Both rear struts assemblies need replacement
2) All 4 Rotors need replacing
3) All 4 brake pads need replacing
4) Both inner tie rods failed/failing
5) Both outer tie rods failed/failing
6) 4 new tires 215 65 16 with 4 wheel alignment

Need advice guidance. Any constructive form would be apprecaited!

Old 10-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

unless you are planning on doing all this work yourself, it looks like its time to retire the car.

At this point even if you were to find an easy fix to the starting problem, the cost to make the car safe and reliable far exceed the replacement value.