Timing Belt Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Questions

Hey guys, new to the forum here, 91 740GL, non-turbo and she won't run. A little back ground is in order so here goes. Got the car for my daughter to drive for college, she doesn't listen to me about it's an old car, check the fluids once of twice a week and watch for leaks. About 6 months later she gets the car hot and gets it towed home. So I go to the car and notice it's leaking between the water pump and the head so I go ahead and replace the pump and head gasket to be safe. In the meantime I replaced the Volvo with a Jetta for her to destroy. I get the Volvo running and then I hav to deploy overseas for 6 months and she sat. my wife started it aobut once every twoo weeks then the battery died and it sat the last 90 days. I get back, put in a new battery and she fires right up no probelms, a littel rough idel but no serious probelms. I drive it aound the block a few times and return home and leave it idling in the drive way wjhile I check the brake lights. As I'm doing this my daughter step s on the brake for me and the car happens to die. It has not run since. So I think maybe it's out of gas as the light was on so I go get 5 gals and dump her in, no start, no pop, just turning. I trouble shot the components with guides from the Brickboard and oher places and have repalced the fuel filter (it was FULL of black stuff), ignition module, coil, plugs, cap and rotor. I pulled the pump out of the tank and it is spinning freely and the fuel pump relay is working. I also replaced the radio suppression relay and the crank sensor; still nothing. The only code I get it s 2-2-3 for the IAC valve and I've been told that will not cause a "no start", just a hard start. I tried starting fluid, nothing, no pop at all. I pulled the plugs one at a time, grounded them to the strut tower had a friend turn it over and I have nice blue spark but no start. I pulled the injector rail with the injectors still hokked, grounded them and turned it over, the injectors are "firing" but barely enough gas to wet my hands. The pressure regulator seems fine as well as it is not leaking out the vacuum tube port and it flows freely out the main fuel line. I also checked the timing marks to see if she "jumped" time annd I noticed one odd thing, the only tiem the rotor is pointing at Number 1 is when the white dot on the cam gear is 180 degrees out from the mark on the covers. When I line them all up the rotor is ALWAYS pointing down unless I spin it one more turn, the the rotor is up. This doesn't make sense to me as I drove the car before it doed and it had plenty of power and all, so I don't think she jumped 180 out, please confrm this for me as it's driving me nuts! I hate to put any more money in this car as all I am trying to do is sell it for 1000 bucks and I'm 400 in on parts already, if I have to spring for a pump fine but I'm just at wits end here. Sorry this post is so long but I figured all teh history may help. Thanks in advance for any help anyone may give me on this.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Nobody here can tell me where the rotor is supposed to point when you put on a new timing belt? Could someone please let me know, I just replaced the fuel pump and it still won't start....Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once all the marks are lined up, the rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire.

Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Questions-timingmarks.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Default Marks

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm really tired of messing with this thing, I just listed it for parts on my local craigslist.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to hear that...but then again, that's how I get my cars sometimes...