Missfire uphill under load

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missfire uphill under load

Hi All,
I am a new member here. I joined because I would love some input on my issue.
I have a 2005 XC70 with 189,000.
I bought this car two years ago from a female doctor who did all routine service at the dealer. No issues until about three months ago. The first issue that started was a sudden lose of power while accelerating. It was like some one cut off the gas for a second. I changed the fuel filter with a Volvo filter. No change of symptoms. I the got a code for the fuel rail pressure sensor. YAY! I changed that for a new oem sensor. While changing that, my mechanic indicated that these cars suffer from etm issues and cleaned out my ecm with carb cleaner and compressed air. He also did a light cleaning of the MAF. The sudden feeling of no gas flow stopped.
The new issue (started right after) is going up a steep grade at 50-60mph at low rpm's ( about 2K rpm's) the car misfires #5. Runs very rough and shutters. It seems to almost delay the downshift and then boom, misfire.
All other times it runs like a top in all other conditions. I replaced all if the plugs with the Denco plugs and we switched injector #4 with #5. We also installed a new ( NAPA) coil pack on #5. and also really cleaned up the MAF with the proper MAF cleaner. No luck. I was able to get to the shop while it was missing. No pulse to the #5 injector. Is this just because the computer knows the misfire will continue and goes into limp mode?
If i shut the car off and restart it, it runs 100%. Today we checked compression and it is 155 or so in #1 & #5.
I have also done the float test on the dip stick and it is breathing properly.
I have added a bottle of Seafoam to the tank to clean the injectors etc.
A different mechanic with the Volvo computer did a complete scan and only the misfire on #5 showed up. the other codes were for things like high frequency on the immobilizer. Everything else checked out okay.
Other things i am considering replacing to try to resolve this.
1. turbo control valve
2. knock sensor(s)
3. new MAF (I once got this code with a #5 misfire)
4. all new Volvo plugs and Volvo coil packs
5. Fuel pump or relay
6. All new vacuum lines
I hope it isn't the ECU...
I did start to run 93 octane. No change yet. before it was always 87
I have an appointment with the stealer on 10-15-12 with a loaner.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:
I took it to the dealer. I explained the sequence of events. The mechanic identified the issue. The plugs that I ordered from SwedishAutoParts.com were too long. Not by much, but just enough. I had ordered the DENSO IKH20 Iridium Plugs as per their fitment guide for my specific car by year make model and engine specs / size. Very expensive lesson here. Volvo plugs replaced the wrong plugs and i am now one week into driving and the problem is 100% resolved.