What tires, plugs, wires, etc. do you use on your XC70s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What tires, plugs, wires, etc. do you use on your XC70s?

I posted this in the V70 forum by mistake...oops.

So I bought a 2001 XC70 not too long ago, first venture into non redblock Volvos. I skipped right over the 850s. I have a love hate thing with this car, not sure I'll keep it or go to a plain V70 for better handling. I had a love affair with giant trucks as a kid, think Mopar Rams 318s with Weind intakes and Holley four barrels w/electric pumps.... and a gas station you towed around with you, back when gas was a $1.00 a gallon, so the AWD get's the testosterone going, the one or two times a month I use it to park on grass or something.

Part of me loves the true off-road capability of this car, and wonders about taking it in that direction...more aggressive tread tires, that SEMA concept lifted XC from IPD always get's me drooling, but that's a fantasy at this point.... Part or me misses the rear wheel drive handling of my 4 series wagons. I've been thinking about new plugs, wires, etc. With say a Rex/Regina 940 or a 960 wagon you've got your hands tied a lot with parts options, but these cars have a lot more choice out there, not to say the Bosch redblocks didn't... but this thing is a grown up fun car I will say that.

Also thinking about high quality plugs, possible minor upgrades to improve gas mileage, air filters, there's a lot of controversy over the K&N cone style filters, I know a lot of Volvo mechs who say the stock system offers plenty of airflow, but I used to put K&Ns on everything after outfitting my bikes with them when I was a kid and always noticed huge performance upgrades. Hell my ex-wife's Toyota Matrix got one and it did wonders for it got the MPGs up near a Prius.

My driving is mostly on windy CT back roads, and highway miles. Plus snow, lots of it as of late, in the winter time. It's got Goodyears on it now, I'm not crazy about them. Lots of road noise, but to be fair they have about 6 months of life left and that's being generous. I'm running high pressure right now, and I should probably drop it a bit, for MPGs, I think ride quality etc. would improve, they're just too bumpy and I should follow the Volvo guidelines for air pressure methinks a bit closer.

To the end that I might keep this sucker, what stock size tires do you guys like, also If I do keep it I'm thinking about what high quality parts to put in it, plugs wires as I said, possible suspension upgrades, maybe keeping it and getting a V70 and tooling around with hot rodding it, etc. IPD parts, sway bars, etc. I'm wondering if Biltsteins would be worth it for the XC, or just drive it and enjoy it...replace parts as they break, etc.

It's got 175k on it now.