All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

1975 164e

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 164e

Where is the fuel pump fuse? looks like the PO run a wire from the pump directly to the battery looks like a 22ga wire too. A little smal for the pump power wire I would think. I see the orginal power wire and it is not connected. I know the pump fuse is not in with the rest of the fuses but i dont know where it is can some one help? I see that I am going to need a manual with wiring diagrams if I am going to do any maintenance to this machine. Any suggestion on a good manual?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ed, I just finished a total rebuild on a 73 144 a bit ago. The original Volvo Green books are still the best in my mind. I can't help you at the moment because I was forced to convert mine to carbs as the prior owner had the foresight (right!) to sell the ecu, fuel pump and all related fuel injection goodies. So...I did not have to track down that which you seek. I do know that your 75 is KJet rather than the 73 DJet setup, that your car used a lower pressure fuel pump than later Kjets. You may have some luck at kjet.org by checking on 75-76 240's as their set up should be quite similar.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 164 fix status.

I spent the day working on the Volvo. New battery, new battery ground cable, I ran a new battery ground to engine and to the battery tray where the injectors ground. I cleaned all other connections. I changed the fuel filter. The turn signal switch I bought from eBay was wrong one, and I damaged it trying to adapt it to work so there $35 I wont get back.
When setting the firing order I probably crossed my eyes and wire the dist fior clockwise rotation after the muffler blew up (the sheet metal is peeled back opened up the muffler like as can of spam.) I rewired it ccw.

Car still will not run. starts up fast but the longest I have gotten it to run/idle was 5 or 6 minutes before it dies. When it dies it acts like all the injectors just quit. It starts up again after a little cranking and runs a few minutes more then dies again. Very frustrating. I gave up on it until I get some more information and fresh ideas on what could be the problem and how to fix it.