All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

69 1800s is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 69 1800s is it worth it?

I found one about 2 hours away from where I am. I was thinking it's worth 1500 to 1000 in the condition it is. Here's my thinking:

On ebay they seem to go for around 10k and I regularly think that vehicles go for a little more on ebay. The max I've seen is 16k. The min is 3,500. But I could be incorrect.

The car: It's a 69 with the B20 and dual SU's. It has the M41 transmission, but overdrive doesn't work. The solenoid works, so it appears to be an internal problem. The car starts instantly on snowy days from cold and has good oil pressure. It was rebuilt not too long ago. The car has not been garage kept and already has cracks in it's second dash. The biggest problem I see is the rust. It's in the rockers and floor. The passenger side front fender it rusted through. The rear window weather stripping has separated at the bottom side about an inch from shrinking. The paint is beyond recovery. The trunk lid is showing a lot of bear metal, but it's not bubbly with rust. The car doesn't appear to be sagging from loss of structural steel in the body due to rust. The front bumper has a rust hole through part of it too. Most it looks like all of the trim is there and in good shape. The car has never been hit and looks straight. The Speedo does not work. The guy thinks that he installed it wrong, but swears that it was rebuilt. The rear brakes leak and gas tank has water in it (he showed me that it ran from a make shift gas tank under the hood). The front seats have been reupholstered and they look good. The rear seat looks like a mess. The car passes inspection and has been street legal the whole time. He paid 2,500 for it about 10 year or so ago.

So in summary:
Lots o' rusty panels
no OD
no rear brakes
no speedo
no good paint
good front seats
straight body
good drivetrain (minus the OD)

I can weld in patch panels and I am pretty good at body work, so the this task does not cause me fear. I just need to know if it's worth about what I figured (1500-1000) or not. Maybe I'm guessing to low. A good paint job is 3k, just for the outside of the car. Plus the patching and a complete paint job, I still don't have a car that's cherry for somewhere around 6k.

So opinions are appreciated!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like fun.
Ed

Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I talked to a few guys with P1800 experience. They said 1k was enough for the car and that I should not try for more. Just body work and paint can exceed a value of 6k. One guy said a rusty one he fixed totaled up to 12k when the base coats were finally laid down. That's still not including the color. I was warned a bit about rusting in the gas tank and brake lines. Being a single circuit brake system, that's probably a really good idea to replace all the lines.

I could do the work, but I would need to get it cheap. So I may end up walking away from this one.