All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

B20 head Refit ( reassurance !)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20 head Refit ( reassurance !)

Folks, this relates to a B20 in a boat however nobody replied on the penta forum. I replaced the cam which had a worn lobe, new followers as well, head skim and pressure test etc. bolted the head back on put the rocker assembly on hand tight and adjusted all the tappet adjusters all the way back. when rotating the engine via socket on the crank nut as the pushrods come up they get really tight as they hit the adjusters, At this point im panicking a bit because im thinking they shouldnt be that tight with all the adjuster screws backed off , the head height is fine ( not over skimmed) the new gasket is slightly thinner but a proper volvo one. followers and pushrods all same length, new cam more or less a standard one. timing marks on gears correct. Is this just a case of me being over cautious, i.e. even when the rocker adjusters are all the way backed off the pushrods will travel high enough to still open the valves ( which obviously would cause them to go tight. ?
should I just torque the rocker assembly down then set the valve clearances as per the manual , theoretically if all the timings ok and the valve clearances are set everything should be ok, the more I think about it as the pushrod rises and pushes on the spring it will just go past the cam rise. This is my first engine project and i just want someone to tell me im not doing something wrong.
Cheers Steve

Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does this have solid lifters or hydraulic?