All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

New (old) volvo, locked & no keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (old) volvo, locked & no keys

Hello. I am new to this forum. I've just recently come across an old Volvo in a garage. It is in a house I just bought, and the previous owner is in another state - and has abandoned the car. It has been sitting for a very long time. The car is locked, and the key is lost.

I was just going to call a locksmith, but I'm worried about someone doing damage to the car. What do you guys recommend? If I get a locksmith - any suggestions on what to tell him to minimize damage to the car? If I get the VIN number, can I get a key cut from that? Is there a key code stamped somewhere on the vehicle, once I do get in?

I believe it is an 1800, but I don't know much more than that. I've always been a volvo fan, but never owned one, and don't know much about them. I don't know the year.

I've attached two pics - so any additional info in identifying the vehicle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails New (old) volvo, locked & no keys-img_20131205_153300.jpg   New (old) volvo, locked & no keys-img_20131205_153212.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The car is worthless without a title. Not sure how you would go about getting one.

I didn't come on to the Volvo scene until the late '70's. They had a key code then but I'm not sure about the 60's. My guess is that the car is about a '67 P1800. Like the one Irvine just put 3,000,000 miles on. That's right, 3 million.

Man drives record 3 million miles in the same 1966 Volvo - TODAY.com

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM

I think I can get a title - via a "lost title" situation. Then again the title may be in the glove box. I've gotten a title on an old VW before.

I figured this was a '72 or '73 based on the large glass rear, but I don't really know. I just need to get in.

As for a key code - on a VW it is stamped on the door handle, if you can get the door handle off. Did Volvo do something similar?

As for the 3 million mile Volvo - I saw that about 6 years ago out in CA. Very cool, I didn't know it was the same one I'm looking at now.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 PM

Well I got into the Volvo today. After cleaning some of the dirt off, I realized one of the vent windows was not locked, so I was able to open that, then open the door.

I got some of the paperwork inside. Turns out it is a 1973 1800 ES. Inside I found a key that opens all the doors, but I guess the ignition key is different.

It appears as though the previous owner did a lot of extra wiring, and switches. Although I am brand new to this Volvo, and Volvos in general, there are certain things that look a little out of place.

I'm going to put a fresh battery in, and see if any of these random switches could be starter switches. If they are not, could a locksmith be able to cut an igniton key? Is there a way to hot wire it, and put an auxiliary switch in?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 PM

I have found a locksmith who says he can come to my car and cut a key - he just needs a blank. So now I need to figure out which blank will fit my ignition.

poking around online, it looks like there were a couple options for a '73 1800 ES, is that right?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 PM

well I am making progress on a couple fronts - getting a title, it is difficult, but I'm making progress.

I brought the door key by a locksmith, and he was out of blanks. He said he could cut a key for the volvo, if I could get him a blank. So I just need to figure out which blank goes to my car. I've ordered a Nieman and an ASSA. Hopefully one of these fits.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending what state your in, Maine does not require a title for cars over 20 years old.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I know very little about those cars. I'd call a dealer and ask them.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:47 AM

While I have not had to hunt classic or antique parts for a couple years, Hemmings Motor News was always a great source for parts and leads on information.

Not sure what their website offers, but the printed magazine (small phone book) has tons of listings for cars that many never knew existed.

Good luck with your key search: hopefully one of the two you ordered will fit for the locksmith.

Titling will be some work, but it sounds doable as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM

There is a big Volvo owners club for those VSA volvo sports america I love that 1973 P1800 ES the wagon were only made for three years. Dealer should have a key blank or can get one.

Volvo Club Volvo Sports America VSA

had a red 1972es for a little while but sold it when I lost my garage.

...m

Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm looking into registering the vehicle in Maine. I ordered some key blanks from CVI automotive - based in Sweden. My local Volvo dealer didn't really want to offer any help. I didn't have the part number for the blank, I guess now that I have that part number, I can try them again. With the holidays, my traveling, their opening hours, I've only been finding time to pursue this in the evening.

I'll post an update when I get the keys made.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Thanks and I'll keep looking for your updates.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Well I'm still waiting for the keys from sweden, they were closed over the holidays and new years.

I was talking to a local dealer, as a few sites said they might have them. The first dealer didn't want to help me at all, and was pretty useless. He said they were no longer available, and I could not get them. I was going to give up, but I was going near another dealer. So I gave this 2nd dealer a call. This parts guy was way more helpful, and actually seemed to care about an old car. He said he could get me the key the next day, and he did.

So I took this key - part number 680196. It fits my ignition. I'm going to get back in touch with that local locksmith.

I'll keep you updated.

Oh yeah - there is also an alarm on the vehicle. I've got to find the kill switch for that. The alarm goes off as soon as I connect a battery. Any suggestion on tracing that?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what are you going to do with it all said and done? any plans yet?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest that you keep her.
A great free bonus to go with your house purchase and a good project for you too.

From the 2 pics she doesn't appear to be in too bad a general condition, body wise anyway.
Love to see a few more pics of her out in the daylight and maybe with a good wash down.
Could your latest helpful Volvo dealer contact obtain any service history etc if you provide the VIN number ??

Old 01-15-2014, 05:59 PM

I didn't think about searching for service history - that is a good idea, I'll try that.

As far as what I'm going to do with it - I'm not sure. It looks like a very fun car, a bit sportier than a VW squareback I used to own, but seems to be in the same category as far as functionality.

My immediate concerns are getting the title straightened out so I can register it, and getting it keyed so I can see about driving it. I realized when I hooked up the battery, that there is an alarm on it. I've got to try to find the kill switch, as I don't see a key for an alarm anywhere.

once I get it keyed, and can drive it, I guess I'll flush the radiator, brake lines, and change the oil. Aside from that - not sure what to do with a car that has been sitting for over 15 years. Suggestions? Anything particular to check on this vintage vehicle?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM

You may one day find a key concealed somewhere in, under or on the vehicle.
Maybe one of those magnetic key holders.
Quite possible given that she has been left behind and abandoned by a previous owner in a locked up garage.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM

I got the key blanks on Saturday. I hope to get the locksmith out this week.

I am now struggling a bit with an aftermarket alarm that was installed on the vehicle. I thought it might be nice to keep it, but I can't find a key-fob for it anywhere. I've heard the company went out of business a long time ago. It is a Titan T-3003.

I'm thinking, I'll need to disable it, and rewire it as it was from the factory - to avoid any sort of ignition lock associated with the alarm. Any suggestions on this alarm?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Default 1800

great car...my uncle owned one just as I was getting my drivers lic so he would let me cruise around in it....this model is known for various electrical and fuel line issues.....beautiful and worth the work you expend.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM

You may perhaps enjoy looking up this link below.

1973 1800ES Resurrection

This guy has purchased a 73 1800 and has begun work on getting it up and running.
Had not run for a long time and he is dealing with many issues you will be needing to do also after 15 years.
Who knows, maybe you could liase with him.

Quick Reply: New (old) volvo, locked & no keys