Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

New tunes option / IPOD adapter for 1998 S70 NA

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tunes option / IPOD adapter for 1998 S70 NA

I have an SC816 unit in the vehicle... the cd portion finally failed / won't accept cds.

I did not want to hack the dash for a new unit nor did I want to get another used SC816 (longevity questionable)

Did not want to compromise interior look either...

After pulling the unit out of the dash - noticed amp and cd changer ports...did some research and came up with this simple setup someone devised to direct connect your ipod into the cd changer port.

No cassette adapter/no fm transmitter _ direct connect.

Quoted cost to install at aftermarket tuner shop $300-350.00

My cost: Order direct from manufacturer = 72.00
Wire tap (for power lead) $1.59 — 15min install.

Now enjoying unbelievable sound driving down the road.

—————

BlitzSafe VOL/M-LINK1 V.1

Volvo 1996-2000 iPod to Car Interface -- 160gb Classic

This interface connects to you CD Changer port and gives you a direct CD quality audio connection between your iPod and car radio. The interface will charge ou ipod while the car is on and for 20 minutes after you turn off the car. All through one quick connection to the data port on the bottom of your ipod.
Does not control the radio from the radio.
Works with any Volvo that has a radio that starts with part number SC and the CT-906

The VOL/M-LINK1V.1 offered here includes the newest dock cable (BSG3) which charges all iPods, iPhones and iPads.
The VOL/M-LINK1V.1 interface is for those wanting a clean audio connection, the ability to charge and Navigate all menus and controls using the iPod™ buttons. The VOL/M-LINK1V.1 connects to the CD Changer port on select Volvo vehicles and allows the audio from your iPod™ or iPhone to be heard on the factory speakers, you control the iPod device using its buttons and while connected the iPod™ will also charge. The VOL/M-LINK1V.1 interface delivers CD quality sound directly into the factory sound system via the CD changer port and eliminates the use of noisy RF modulators. The VOL/M-LINK1V.1 integrates iPod™ products with select Volvo OEM (factory) radios that have external Changer controls functions. Your iPod™ will NOT go into external control mode which means that none of the iPod controls are compromised. You will be able to access all of your playlists and settings directly on the iPod as you would in portable mode. The interface also charges the iPod while the radio is on and to prevent battery drain a built-in timer will automatically stop the charging process 20 minutes after the radio is turned off. Connecting the VOL/M-LINK1V.1 to the factory radio is quick and easy.

» *Charges the iPod's™ internal battery.
» Direct audio connection for optimal sound quality (no FM Modulator)
» Compatible with iPod™ Mini, Nano (All), Photo, Video, Classic, iTouch (ALL), iPhone (ALL), iPad [*NOT* compatible with 10GB, 15GB, Shuffle]
» Includes docking cable (6ft. long) that plugs directly into your iPod™
» *Charges the iPod while the radio is on and charges the iPod for 20 minutes after the radio is turned off-- See warning below.
Compatibility & Notes: [These requirements must be met for this part to work]
1. Compatible with all 1991-00 (Except S80 and 2001-up C70 & V40). See pull-down menu above vehicle specific listing.
2. Compatible vehicles MUST HAVE a radio model "SC- ***" (i.e. SC-811, SC-816 etc) with this 8-PIN Mini-DIN connector labeled "CD" on the back of the radio.
3. Not compatible with Volvo HU-*** (i.e. HU-555, HU-850etc) model radio.
4. With the VOL/M-LINK1V.1 installed an external CD changer cannot be used at the same time because the interface takes its place.
5. Controls and display remain with the iPod. This product does *NOT* control the iPod from the radio nor does it display text on the radio screen.

How easy is it to install?
On a scale from 1-10 we would categorize this install as a 5. You must first remove the radio, disconnect the cd changer (if one is connected), connect the 8-pin mini connector from the interface to the radio, the yellow wire must connect to a constant 12V source [ Pin4 or Pin 12 on large harness-- wire is Red with black stripe] or test wires with a voltmeter. The next step is to connect the iPod to the supplied dock connector and viola!
VOL/M-LINK1V.1 Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will I be able to control my iPod using the iPod buttons?
Yes, you will be able to fully control your iPod using the iPod buttons. No controls from the radio buttons.
2. Will my iPod screen display change while connected, or will it display all the Song info and iPod menus?
Your iPod screen will be the same as if it were not connected, meaning, you will be able to see all the Song/Artist info, and browse, just as if it weren't connected
3. Must I remove my Radio to install the interface?
YES. All connections are done at the CD changer port behind the radio.
4. I have an internal CD player, will it stop working if I install the interface?
Your internal CD player will keep working with the adapter. You will only loose an external CD Changer if you have one installed. Just press the CD or Mode button to change modes between your CD player and iPod adapter
5. Will this interface also charge my iPod?
YES, the interface charges the iPod while the radio is on and charges the iPod for 20 minutes after the radio is turned off.