Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here.

BSR PPC Stage 1 in progress...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BSR PPC Stage 1 in progress...

I recently ordered a Stage 1 PPC Tune kit from EST and received the tuner about 5-6 days later with a weekend in the middle. (+1 for EST on the fast delivery!)

I dropped in the air filter and spent a day getting familiar with the directions and the tuning process. When I got home from work the next day I proceeded to about step 3 in the directions and found that even though I had sent my VIN# to BSR (The PPC Designers) when I ordered, the unit would not provide a tune for my computer. The directions clearly lay out the extra steps needed to do a complete read of your ECU and then upload the code to the BSR web-portal. This is not hard, but some of the directions are in Swedish, so you have to use your imagination a little on the software download and install.

The act of reading the ECU apparently resets your computer to factory default settings so you'll lose your clock time and any learned tuning of your ECU. I noticed that my boost levels have dropped to 4-7/8 PSI (where they were 5-8/9+ PSI) for normal/spirited driving the next time I drove my car after the full ECU reading adventure. (WTF ...)

So, I'm now waiting for BSR to provide a special tune for my S60's computer so I can move on to the next step in the tuning process. We'll see if my car re-learns to provide the extra 1-2 pounds of boost it was measuring prior to the computer reset thing.... (More to follow.)

Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM

I've read a few that have had issues like this, but it's always been resolved when BSR updates your ppc IIRC.

I think I lost my clock setting too, so that doesnt seem too unusual. I tuned my car, went for a week or two, updated the ppc, then retuned the car a second time and noticed a slight change for the better. Just make sure you tune the car when the engine is fully warmed up. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks for sharing. I just received an email from BSR that the tune was ready and to Re-Sync my PPC. The procedure went according to plan and the car is tuned!!! I'll be taking a ride in a few minutes. (Just completed the 'verification sync' with the BSR web portal...)
Edit: Initial driving impression was completely awesome. After starting the car, the idlle quickly settled into the typical 650 RPM range. Driveability is very civilized, although it will take a bit of getting used to how quickly the power builds. Checking the boost gauge, it builds to 3-4 PSI at even mild throttle inputs above 1500 RPM or so. Above 2K the boost is pushing to 5-6+ PSI quickly. With just a bit more throttle, the boost shoots up to 10-11 PSI and it's like your in a different car. I didn't have a chance to push it much driving in traffic to the Steely Dan concert, but there is clearly a big improvement to response and power.
Edit: After having a chance to push the car on some isolated roads, I'm seeing boost levels routinely jumping to 14-15 PSI peaks when pushing hard at higher RPMs. The low end boost comes on very quickly and will have your tires screaming through an intersection if you're even in a little bit of a hurry.

Last edited by twowheelin; 08-17-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Updated with additional driving notes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool. break her in and enjoy!