Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Synthetic oil ( AMSOIL) Pros & Cons

Old 09-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil ( AMSOIL) Pros & Cons

I have a 2002 S80 T6 with about 86,000 miles....Looking to hold on to this car for years to come. I've hadthe carnow for a year and a half no real issuesand considering the switch to synthetic oil in hopes of increasing the longevity of the life of the car.....Any pros or cons on the use of synthetic oil or any issues to look out for .....

Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic oil ( AMSOIL) Pros & Cons

I went from regular oil to full synthetic and wont look back. One of the best things I ever did with the car. Might cost more but is worth it.

I am using Mobil 1 full synthetic, love the stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
"
Advantages The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include: [ul][*]Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance[*]Better chemical & shear stability[*]Decreased evaporative loss[*]Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems[*]Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less waste oil created.[/ul] [edit] Disadvantages The disadvantages of synthetic motor oils include: [ul][*]Initial costs are usually multiplied by 3 compared to petroleum based oils, though at one time man-made oils were ten times greater[citation needed]. Initial costs are usually mitigated by extended change intervals, but each particular user may find as useful confirmation of that through used oil analysis (UOA).[*]The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in i.e. during the initial run-in period of the vehicle where friction is desirable to cause wear. As many vehicles now use synthetic oils as factory fill, it can be seen that this is less of an issue than it once was.[*]Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (industrial use dominantly)[*]Potential stress cracking of plastic componentry like POM (polyoxymethylene) in the presence of PAOs.[*]Potential on some older pushrod race engines with roller lifters for the roller itself not to spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller itself remains either stationary or at a lower circumferential speed than that of the camshaft lobe[citation needed]"[/ul]

Old 09-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edit: deleted by poster

Old 09-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I have seen cars that have only run synthetic and extended oil changes.
After the car hit 80,000 miles the motor seized up. The motor ended up being sludged up then seized up.
It was due to the extended oil changes.
I always change the oil on Turbo cars at 3,000 miles and Non turbo at 5,000 miles.
That is regardless to wether it is synthetic or Regular oil.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only use synthetic in all my vehicles. But I agree with Tech. You still need to change oil at recommended intervals.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the input greatly appreciated

Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TECH stated it correctly. Synthetic has to be changed at a regular interval. It is not a life time fill as some believe it to be. I change at 5000 miles and have done so since the late 70's with no problem. As to leaks when changing over, that is an old wives tale. I have a 1965 Austin Healy and if it is British.....it will leak! Mine does not leak and the engine is original. Do not fear! By the way, Chevy Corvette and BMW use synthetic as the original fill. The last new auto I purchased (10 months ago) was drained of the 5-20 oil and replaced with BMW 5-30 the moment I got it home. It does not use oil. Nice to know info: Amzoil was the first producer of synthetic oil for autos followed by Mobil. Believe it or not, the Germans in WWII used synthetic oil as they had, as you probably know, a shortage of petroleum products. Their synthetic was not up to the standards of to-day's synthetic, of course.

r.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edit: deleted by poster
I will stop posting as I seem to be wrong.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: 01_fast_ride

Anyone that remembers the conventional vs synthetic thread a while back knows that I advocate following the recommended oil change interval. However, since Amsoil IS mentioned in the thread title itself, that is the one in question. Amsoil guarantees protection for 25,000 miles or 1 year. If you buy their synthetic and drain it after 3000 miles you're throwing your money away. Mobil 1 EP is the same way with 15,000 miles guaranteed. If you're not running one of those oils don't even try going that long between oil changes. Those two are in a completely different league from other synthetics. The first time I put synthetic in my car I asked the guy, "Will it last longer (between changes)?" and he said NO. He still recommended regular intervals for synthetic.

As far as my leaks comment, I wasn't speaking from experience. But several people have brought it up in the past when they switched so I had to throw it out there. I switch back and forth with no issues.
The car I spoke about above was with Amsoil and Amsoil would not guarantee the oil enough to pay to replace his engine. He had all the receipts for the oil changes per their reccomendations as well.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 PM

I drive a 2000 S80 T6 with 177,000 miles on it and am considering changing to synthetic Royal Purple oil. I have previously onlyused Castroil. Should I do this or not? I have no issues with the Castroil, just thought the synthetic might be better with the high miles I have. Also, they say I could go 6000 miles between changes with this but if I change it appears I should stick with 3000 as I am doing now, right? Thanks for any input!