Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the forums here.

This forum is so sloooooooow

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This forum is so sloooooooow

It is very slow to navigate this forum on IE7. I am now using Firefox 2.0 with Adblock Plus to avoid all the ads and it works like a champ. It does not take longer than 2 seconds to load a thread while it used to take at least 10 using IE7.

EDIT: For extra speed, open FireFox config by typing about:config in the address bar, set the following params and restart firefox.

network.http.max-connections = 96
network.http.max-connections-per-server = 16
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy = 8
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server = 8
network.http.pipelining = true
network.http.proxy.pipelining = true
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests = 8
nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 0

Then use the following patch to set the max amount of half-open connections to 90: http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools

Some virus scanners say this is a virus, but it is not. It will patch TCPIP.sys to remove a ridiculously low limit of 10 half-open TCP/IP connections Microsoft has put into XP SP2. This is a must-have for peer-to-peer downloading. More info here: http://phex.org/mambo/content/view/49/33/

Old 09-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: This forum is so sloooooooow

Agreed. I've also noticed that some posts are slower to load than others... Maybe I'll have to try running Firefox instead of IE, as you have.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 AM

I think adblock plus made the difference, not the browser itself.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Firfox is the best browser out there right now I think personally. I have been using it for over a year now.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use the adblock but I am using Firefox. I avoid IE7 like the plague. We even use Firefox at my office (city government). Another thing that I use that is great is AVG 7.5 anti virus software. It's free and you can google AVG and download it.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 AM

HOLY CRAP!!! I just put Adblock Plus as an addon through FireFox. Wow the pages load 100x's faster!

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to look into the AVG 7.5 Anti Virus software too.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Just added adblock myself. It loaded so fast that I felt I was caught in a time warp

Old 09-09-2007, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver
Nod32 is my choice right now. It is very fast and effective. Avira Antivir is also very good.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: axelm

ORIGINAL: S70driver
Nod32 is my choice right now. It is very fast and effective. Avira Antivir is also very good.
Axel, are you sure it's not "Avada Kedavra"?

IE7 is an absolutefiasco. It shuts down in the middle of surfing and the unnecessary anti-phising filter thing was the dumbest thing they ever added on[8D]. So far, I'm all right with IE6 (rolled back, got rid of IE7). I also have FF as a backup browser; just a personal preference and I got used to with IE6 so much that I'm reluctant to change.

JPN

Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 AM

JPN,

I simply can´t use IE6 because it does not support tabs. To read this forum I go to the main 850 age, I press CTRL and click on all the unread threads. I open 10-20 browser tabs and they all sit very tidily on the top of the screen. Imagine that with IE6, I would have 20 windows on my task bar, no way.

The Firefox extension system is fantastic. There are several hundred available extensions for free. I use the internal download accelerator and free ad blocker and they work fine. IE7 is always targeted by hackers/spammers/trojans. Windows is such a waste of time that I considering moving to Linux permanently. I have been using Fedora for the last three years with great results. Maybe it is mature now for desktop use.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 AM

I forgot to add that most people get rid of Firefox because it takes longer to load than IE7 which is preloaded when you boot the OS. There is a small application called Firefox Preloader that will do just that and Firefox windows will open in half a second or maybe less.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the useful info. Maybe it's time that I give it a try on FF. I once had a situation where IE did not allow me to enter a site, and I fiddled with all settings to no avail. Then I tried FF and I was able to enter the site. After that, for whatever the reason, I was also able to enter the site with IE. I have no clue what the logic was.

Anyway, Windows & IE are definitely virus & cracker magnets. "Windows Update" should be renamed as "Windows Screw-Up Patch Service"[8D].

Thanks again,

JPN

Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 AM

ORIGINAL: JPN
Anyway, Windows & IE are definitely virus & cracker magnets. "Windows Update" should be renamed as "Windows Screw-Up Patch Service"[8D].
I agree totally. My father-in-law's PC was killed by a Windows update. I got tired of his complaints regarding performance since his PC was a hand-me-down, so I formatted the hard drive and installed Xubuntu Linux. No more complaints, no more viruses, no more spyware.

A friend at the office asked me why I didn't install Windows 98 on the old PC. Yeah, right.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for FF 2.0 with adblock Plus, changed over from IE7 after reading about it here two days ago. It's like day and night with this forum loading very fast now, all the surfing's much quicker. Thanks for passing on the info.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Even without Adblocker Plus FireFox loads this forum quickly. But with Adblocker Plus it loads it just that much quicker.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 AM

I have added some more tips to the first post on this thread. They call it Firefox on steroids.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: axelm

I have added some more tips to the first post on this thread. They call it Firefox on steroids.
And if we do this? And for some reason it messes up how to we go back to the way it was before?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I installed Firefox with adblock, but now I can not respond to any threads. They do load somewhat faster, but I must have blocked something that I should not have. I went and individually right-clicked on the ads and said adbock on them. I could not quite fiigure out which one to un-adblock or exactly how to use the "*" wildcard. It took me about two hours just to get it loaded with dialup, so I kind of had enough at that point.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM

JimKW,
Well, dialup does have that effect on people. :-)

S70driver,
You can reset the default FireFox config by going to about:config and right click on the parameter you want to reset. A context menu will appear and the reset option is there.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Well I mess with it a little more last night, but still can not get to where I can respond to threads. The box is greyed out and I can not log out either. I removed everyone of my adblocks and that did not help. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: This forum is so sloooooooow