Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the forums here.

Problem with my BACK button

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with my BACK button

I didn't want to bring this up butit's has been driving me crazy. It started happening about two weeks ago, just as the new Regional sub-forum was being added. Since about that time, some of the Google adsare showing up as dead links (not what is driving me nuts, but possibly the source). What is kind of bonkers is when I hit my BACK button I am gettingHTTP 400- Bad Request. The page stays the same, but it's like I never pressed the back button at all. I have to press it three times to go back one page. I run IE (boo), no problems in FireFox.

Anyone else share this problem? I am running anti-virus anti-spyware everynight automatically and nothing shows up. I go on other forums and don't see the problem elsewhere. So that is why I bring it up.

Ideas?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Problem with my BACK button

I've got the same issue... when I do the drop-down back button (so that I have a choice of how many pages back to go) there is a list of pages (between one and three) that all say: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pa

Definitely seems to have something to do with an ad.

And, I too noticed it happening a couple of weeks back. Not that irritating because I just use the drop-down back button now instead of the back button (or backspace).

Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 AM

Thanks for confirming that 99VolvoV70. I thought it was just me since no one had brought it up.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this happened on another forum I frequent and this is what the moderator there had to say (YES, related to the Google ads)

Yes I know this isn't motorcycle related but it is a very useful bit of information as we here at .net have been berated with Google ads all over our forum. So please bare with me as I show you how to remove them.

First step....Download firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

Second....Download and install the Ad Block Plus plug-in: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Once installed and Ad Block is running right-click on the ad frame/image and select "Adblock Image..."

Copy and paste the following text into the filter window...."http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com".... click "Ok". The ads should magically disappear and your old forum should once again be back to her old self.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a pain in the butt, and we have complained about it, but nothing seems to be happening. Seems like it got better for a couple days and then returned. I have the problem in both firefox and IE.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same problem on AOL and IE but not Firefox.
But Firefox seems slower to me.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello All,

Here's a copy & paste of my post inanother part of the forum:

COPY:

I myself have never experienced problems with my browser either (except the loading time has worsened with new Symantec Norton w/anti-phish filter[8D]).

I am wondering if the problem is due to individual PC's browser settings/protection software. I have been using IE6.0 (got rid of 7.0; it was not user-friendly[8D]) but never tried FF on the forum. Including individual user's PC specs may reveal something:

- PC mfg (Dell, HP, etc...)
- OS (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc...)
- Protection software (Norton, McAfee, etc...)
- Browser (IE, FF, etc...)
-Type of connection (Dial-up, DSL, cable, fibre optics, etc...)
- Which ISP you're using.

I myself use:

- Sotec (Japanese domestic PC)
- Win XP SP2
- Norton Internet Security 2007
- IE 6.0
- DSL 50Mbps
- Softbank Yahoo BroadBand

I wonder if there is a network engineer within our member...

END OF COPY

This may or may not do give us any benefit, but it takes only a few minutes to report your PC environment and there may be something common to those who're experiencing the same problem. Hey, if we can find what is giving you the problem, it would benefit us all.

After having installed 2007 Norton Internet Security, I noticed that anti-phising filter slows down surfing speed more than anything else. It was the same with IE7.0, so I got rid of the IE but now I'm stuck with Norton's version.

Anyway, I am not sure if the problem is caused by individuals' PCs orforum's server. If the latter was the case, I wonder if the server settings can be modified (code optimisation, etc...) or if a rack-mount type firewall for the server is playing some tricks. I guess we need to find out if there is a network/IT engineer among the forum members...

JPN

Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the input JPN,

I might be a little offbase, but I think that the google ads are at the root of the problem. Something about how they lookup the ad address (in a database?) perhaps. The http 400 error I keep seeing has to do with an address problem. It says to 'retype the address' as a possible solution in the error message. I think that other people don't see it because of ad-blockers or firefox (I didn't have the same problem in firefox, just in IE). And because I dont see the same problem in the other sites I visit, I have to narrow it down to a site-specific problem.

Here is what I have noticed:
Started happening about two weeks ago, so if it helps the site admin, check the files that have changed.
Doesn't have the problem in FireFox, so it could be a handler issue with Internet Explorer.

Let me just say this (and I am not pointing the finger here): If, say, I were to accept that it is a software issue I would write Microsoft. I would say, "Your product works for 99% of the sites that I visit, except for one." Do you know what they would tell me? It's the site.

I'm just saying, the site was fine a few weeks ago. When the changes were made I (and others) started having the issue.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you do the drop down on the Back key you seepaged2.googlesyndication.com/pa multiple times. Then when you go back past it and look at the drop down on the Forward key you see HTTP 400 - Bad Request. That is not a problem with our PC's or the software we are using. It's making it a real pain to use this sight.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 01_fast_ride

Let me just say this (and I am not pointing the finger here): If, say, I were to accept that it is a software issue I would write Microsoft. I would say, "Your product works for 99% of the sites that I visit, except for one." Do you know what they would tell me? It's the site.

I'm just saying, the site was fine a few weeks ago. When the changes were made I (and others) started having the issue.
I have had this issue on several forums, not just this one and on each one it was the google ads that were the problem.
I also have a Dell PC running windows XP and IE6 at work (just updated to FF per my earlier post), BUT I have a macintosh OSX laptop at home that has the same issue...just sayin'

Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 AM
JPN

ORIGINAL: 01_fast_ride

Of course, MS would blame everyone else for all problems whenever they can[8D]. The patch programs they keep producing is a euphemism for saying "Sorry we have produced defective products but are compensating it by giving you freeUPDATES (notice they never state it as "fault", "defect", etc...)so be happy and keep quiet".

.....[8D].

It does seem like Google ads is playing some tricks on many people's PCs. I probably do not have it in my PC since I have not experienced the problem, but if it is an add-on program I believe you can delete it from your PC via Control Panel→Add/Remove a Program or uninstall it, in case of Windows.

I hope the problem gets resolved soon. On my next weekend (Mon & Tue at the moment), I'll pm or email admin to see if he/she has solutions.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Back button is working fine here at home where I use firefox with add blocker. Probably cause I am blocking the google crap.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

My puter is all messed up so Im not sure anymore what is what.
Now I have a new problem everytime I veiw a page it says I have an error on line 152 and it asks me if I want to debug it.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

And if you say yes you will a bunch of crap you will not understand. Have you tried just shutting down and restarting after it sits for a few minutes? That's always the first thing to try.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

I was on the phone with Dell for 2 hours yesterday trying to fix another problem on the computer.(Active desktop shut off and won't come back)
After all that time all he did was make me a New WINDOWS sign on.
Now things are worse than they were before.
I have tried restarting but no luck.
What ever happened to good Customer Service?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

When I get poor customer support, I just hang up and call back until I get somebody who knows something. I spent 45 minutes one time trying to get a picture on my TV using Directv. I hung up, called back, got a different person and had a picture in 15 seconds. I was so pissed I started yelling at the person that got it working. I mean if you don't know how to do somethingadmit it and find somebody who does. Don't waste 45 minutes of somebody's time cause you don't know what you are doing. I ended up getting three months of premium movie channels for free cause I was pissed off, but controlled.

Now with my computer I just have my son or son in law (not the one who is a mechanic) figure it out and fix it. The both do it for a living. I work with large computers, so PC's can still stump me at times.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

I know But it is something with this site none of my browsers will work correctly with this site.
Even IE doesn't work right.
Now same problems with 3 different browsers.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 AM

I have no problems at all with this site. Firefox 2.0.0.8 with AdBlock Plus. Firefox 3.0 alpha8 also works fine. In fact, it is faster than FF2.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM
JPN

Customer service has gone downhill both in the U.S & Japan, as far as I know. The reason; many places are either making different departments as subsidiaries to reduce cost, or outsourcejobs to reduce cost, or lay-off hundreds of employees to reduce cost, it all boils down to fat executives' multi-million bonus, vacation, etc...[8D] People cannot work any more than what they are paid for.

I agree 100% with Jim. But people are somewhat forced to pretend that they know more than they actually do, due to fear of losing jobs, peer pressure, etc...

BTW, Tech, what protection software are you using? And is it up-to-date? It may also be the ISP's fault, so you may want to try different ISP. But note, ISPs hardly ever admit their fault.

Stress-free surfing shouldn't be so hard to achieve yet it is.

JPN

Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

My puter is all messed up so Im not sure anymore what is what.
Now I have a new problem everytime I veiw a page it says I have an error on line 152 and it asks me if I want to debug it.
I can see how that would be VERY irritating, tech. Generally, that kind of an error would be caused from a script error. Can you try this (Internet Explorer): Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab. You will see the rules for Browsing, be sure that 'Disable script debugging' is checked. Hopefully that is all it was.

Here is my browser info:
Internet Explorer (junk):
Version: 7.0.5730.11
Build: 75730

Firefox (works fine):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8
No extra add-ons

Quick Reply: Problem with my BACK button