General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2011 Volvo VIDA Disc Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Volvo VIDA Disc Issues

Hey gang,

In my attempt to obtain information regarding my 2006 S60R, I purchased the 2011A Vida and EWD discs. Now, just as my luck would have it, the VIDA "All in one" install won't work on my laptop. I'm running Windows 7 home edition, all kinds of hard drive, RAM, etc.... 64 bit IE explorer. I have no idea what the problem is and cannot find any info on the internet. I just want to use the VIDA as a reference for what I can repair/maintain on the vehicle within my scope of ability. So...does anyone else have the 2011A VIDA or know how in the world to make it work on a 10 month old laptop? Frustrated....

JamBox

PS- I'll mail the discs to anyone who can help. Seriously frustrating....I just want to know how to work on my car :/

Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried installing it under XP sp1? That has worked for me on a several different programs. (College kid told me that the tech support at his school told it to him, those kids seem to know everything!)

Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM

vida 2011A will not work with windows 7 what so ever sadly.. even if you run it in compatibility mode. you would have to get a copy of vida 2010D but beware, if you are running a 64 bit version of windows which most newer dual and quad core pc's are.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Hi all,
Had the same problem. I got over it by installing VMware Workstation and then a copy of XP inside that and vida on that!
VM allows you to run another operating system inside Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.
Hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by miles
Hi all,
Had the same problem. I got over it by installing VMware Workstation and then a copy of XP inside that and vida on that!
VM allows you to run another operating system inside Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.
Hope that helps.
Good point....
VM ware will work..
I always forget about that.. Good Job!

But keep in mind if you are going to do the VM ware thing you need to have a copy of XP available..

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM

I successfully installed VIDA 2011A on a Windows XP SP3 machine after several failures. It turns out that all the problems I was having were caused by the Microsoft add-ons that VIDA needs to run. All the apps listed below are free downloads. Here's what I did:
- Run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup utility. Remove MSXML V6. I'm saying to run the Cleanup Utility because there is a good chance your installation is corrupt and can't be installed from the add/remove function in Contol Panel. Install MSXML V6. Don't bother installing MSXML V6 service pack 2; it's crap.
- Remove Microsoft.NET (all versions), then re-install .NET V2.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005. If you have it already installed because VIDA tried to install it, uninstall it first.
- Now run the VIDA installation. Reboot.
- Don't forget to download the crack (available as a Torrent and elsewhere). Select "C:\" as the installation directory for the crack. Login with username 1.

I hope this helps. I'm pretty sure this will resolve some people's Windows 7 problems as well.

Mike

Last edited by Mike:P; 01-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Came across this thread and wanted to add. First, I am NOT anywhere near as computer skilled as you all seem to be. I can do my email, buy & sell on Ebay, spend countless hours in online research for any number of my projects, etc. I found the info elsewhere on this site to download Volvo service/parts on disc but could absolutely not get it to work on my old computer with my poor skills. By the second paragraph I was already lost. All I wanted was a bloody BOOK that I could lay on the fender or my workbench and and follow along with as I worked. I don't want to run back and forth to the office in the house and endure my wife's complaints about oily fingerprints on the keyboard. Or print page after page after page and spend a bundle on printer cartridges. I searched for weeks to find a manual for a recently purchased 2000 V70XC with transmission issues with no luck. Since the info on this site was a no go, I bought 2 different DVDs off Ebay, (one supposedly has body info for a 242 Turbo restoration I'm doing), but when they arrived, I couldn't get either of them to work. My computer tells me one is blank and is unable to read the other. So, I went to the very well equipped local Public Library and their computer says "unable to read" and "can not recognize". Both were advertised as Windows compatible, (I have Windows they specified). So, what, I have to buy a new computer to read these damned things? This is really making me crazy. I am a licensed mechanic, 40 years, I don't want to sit at a computer daydreaming about fixing the darn thing, I just want some technical information. Why in blazes can't I just buy a manual in book form? or a parts list? Something that is "interactive", (I can "interactively" use my finger to turn the pages!). I've only had this car 3 weeks and I'm already getting fed up. This just shouldn't be so much trouble!!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by nortons
... I've only had this car 3 weeks and I'm already getting fed up. This just shouldn't be so much trouble!!
Fair enough. I long for the days of the hardcopy service manual. I would read them like magazines because they were so interesting.

"Old computer" and "unable to read" errors make me think that your issues are more fundamental. I found VIDA 2010 less problematic to install. VIDA 2011 took hours to get working. Message me with your computer details (Version of Windows, version of VIDA, RAM installed, processor type) to the best of your abilities. If the solution to your issues can help others, we can post it in this thread.

Mike

Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really, for Volvos older than 2004, VADIS is much less problematic. The downside is there is no support for rwd cars at all other than part numbers. For 240's, the best source of information is kjet.org where the owner has scanned many of the most common Volvo Green books.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Well, I had to have "computer guy" do huge amount of wizardry to computer to get it to work with VADIS. Involved adding mystery components to internals and hours and hours of work. Now all I have to do is learn how to operate it.
As far as 240s go, I am doing an extensive restomod of my '83 242 Turbo using a super clean '84 242 for donor body parts. Currently on lookout for used rotisserie, 5.0 Mustang driveline, etc. I have a full set of 240 green books, (many bought off EBay for $5 or so), extensive parts lists, Haynes, Bentley and Chilton manuals, a library of old IPD tech info, etc, etc. I say that there is a huge amount of 240 info available and a much better availability of original and aftermarket performance parts, both new and used, for the 240s than the FWD cars.
And the best thing; I don't have to sit in front of a screen to look at it. I can study any of this printed info while I'm sitting at my workbench, or waiting for my wife or my kids, while I'm waiting in my doctors office, on an airplane, having breakfast at the local greasy spoon, etc, etc. Hell, I can even study it while I'm in the can. Can't do that with a PC.
I would much, much, much, rather have a set of green books for this 2000 V70XC. They would be far more "user friendly" and "interactive" than this computer geek BS

Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Hmmmm... I'll bet someone could make a few bucks offering printed manuals with the information on these #@^%*& discs. I sure would buy them. Let's see; one for each model, one for part numbers, one for service info, a supplement for codes and so on.
Wouldn't have to be too elaborate; much of my service and parts info for my vintage Brit motorcycle restoration business is in the form of loose sheets in 3 ring binders and this is original from the factory! I can buy new reprint Norton, Triumph, BSA, etc, parts books for around $25
If they are selling it on EBay, and you , (supposedly), can download it from the internet, (I sure couldn't figure out how to do it!), I wonder if it is still copyrighted? Or is it now "public domain"?
I'm sure I'm not the only geezer out there who is frustrated by this. Getting really tired of having to constantly find some spotty faced teenager to show me how to work this.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 AM

Hi guys. I'm having some trouble installing ViDA 2011D. Ive tried installing it on Win7 home Premium 32 bit, WinVista Home Premium 32 bit and two different WinXP Home systems and i keep getting the message "One or more of the computer's components does not fulfil VIDA's requirements. The installation will be aborted". It gives me no explanation of whats wrong or how to fix it. Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 AM

One of your components dont meet vida's requirements, is common.
You need either Windows 7 Professional, Vista Business, or XP Professional SP3 with .net 4 framework installed. Vida will work on those versions of those operating systems ONLY..

Even if you have these operating systems if you have internet explorer 9 installed vida wont install. It runs off of IE8.

What year of car do you have?
If its 2005 or older get a copy of vadis.. It works on anything, just as long as you dont have Internet explorer 9 installed.

hope that helps.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Default VIDA 2011D login failed

Hello guys. I successfully installed VIDA2011D on my windows 7 ultimate-64 bit laptop, ran the patch and followed all other instructions. Initially deleted the wsILogin file but anything I tried to use the program it says "no subscription found" or " invalid user" " unknown error, please contact your helpdesk". So I uninstalled and did a new install but this time renamed the wsILogin file and I still get the same errors trying to use it. The user I'm using is "1" or " admin". Has anyone encountered this problem? Please help

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

I am having the same problem. I managed to get a hold of an XP pro system and installed VIDA 2011D. I installed the patch in where I think im supposed to and opened VIDA. I put in the user name "admin" and then the wsIlogin window opens. I close that and then it says in a red box "No current subscription. Cannot connect to central system". Anybody have any ideas? Thanking in advance

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM

I have to agree with Mike P on this procedure except for one thing, remove everything he says to remove, the make sure you have the correct os win xp pro win 7 pro, WITH IE8 installed , then don't reinstall any add ons....let the vida disk do its thing, everything needed to make it run is on the disk, before installind explore the disk, go to 3pp open that you will see a tools folder open that you will see a folder called VIDACERT, open that...it will check your pc and tell you if it is compliant. THERE ARE A LOT OF CHEAP DISKS OUT THERE THAT HAVE BEEN CLONED FROM CHINESE SOFTWARE THAT DO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE, I've been runnning this program since early 2010, I have the complete program including VIDACERT ON MY DISKS. I just picked up the 2012a disk and that didn't have it so I made a new disk and incorporated the vidacert toolsfolder into it...it's a must have. I'm considering making a few of these and selling them for a fair price on ebay. just want to know how many people would be interested in them....Good Luck, if ya need help pm me.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM

It will only install on a WIN XP PRO SERVICE PACK 3 IE8 SYSTEM WITH 1024 OF RAM MEM OR BETTER.
WIN 7 PRO WITH SERVICE PACK 1 AND IE 8 OR 9 1024 OF RAM OR BETTER
IF YOU TRIED TO INSTALL ALREADY GO BACK TO MIKE P thread and uninstall everything he says to then restart and install again.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Hi everyone.
I had the same problems installing and after several failed attempts I copied the disc onto a usb memory stick and installed it from there.
And hey presto it worked!
I hope that helps.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
vida 2011A will not work with windows 7 what so ever sadly.. even if you run it in compatibility mode. you would have to get a copy of vida 2010D but beware, if you are running a 64 bit version of windows which most newer dual and quad core pc's are.

I was going to buy vida or vidas. Will that give me the ability to repair our Volvo xc 90? The dealer always has to pull those special codes for me. Is there anything that I can get in my hands that will give me the same info they get above and beyond a normal code reader? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by colt1911
I have to agree with Mike P on this procedure except for one thing, remove everything he says to remove, the make sure you have the correct os win xp pro win 7 pro, WITH IE8 installed , then don't reinstall any add ons....let the vida disk do its thing, everything needed to make it run is on the disk, before installind explore the disk, go to 3pp open that you will see a tools folder open that you will see a folder called VIDACERT, open that...it will check your pc and tell you if it is compliant. THERE ARE A LOT OF CHEAP DISKS OUT THERE THAT HAVE BEEN CLONED FROM CHINESE SOFTWARE THAT DO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE, I've been runnning this program since early 2010, I have the complete program including VIDACERT ON MY DISKS. I just picked up the 2012a disk and that didn't have it so I made a new disk and incorporated the vidacert toolsfolder into it...it's a must have. I'm considering making a few of these and selling them for a fair price on ebay. just want to know how many people would be interested in them....Good Luck, if ya need help pm me.
show me the ebay ad and I will buy one if it will read what the dealer gets.

is the vida or vidas all I need or do I need to buy a scanner? I have a cheap scanner I bought from advanced but it will not give me everthing that the dealer gets. What else do I need to buy to make the vida work? my car is a 2003 xc90.

Last edited by tloftis; 08-29-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Volvo VIDA Disc Issues