General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

85k mi. New engine?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85k mi. New engine?!?!

I have a 2006 xc90. Bought it in 2009 with 24,000 mi. Been a great car, done everything we expected. Always took it to the dealership for all necessary services and maintenance. Always did oil changes close to on time. Recently scheduled a regular svc appt (85k mi or something around there). A week before the appt, got a "STOP LOW OIL PRESSURE:SAFELY STOP THE VEHICLE" warning in red letters. Not very exciting. Was very close to home, so drove the few blocks home, got out and noticed a loud ticking (not quite knocking) under the hood. Not being much of a mechanic myself, I looked, listened, and checked the oil. It was pretty low. I filled it with good synthetic oil. I called the dealer and asked if they thought it would be okay to drive it in for the appt. They said ok, and we brought it in. They called the day of the svc and said they didn't want to do the service, because after hearing the ticking/knocking, the tech thought it needs a new engine. So, I took it elsewhere for a 2nd opinion. Same answer. The guy at the 2nd shop (who has a very good reputation) told me about a "TSB"? (TECHNICIAN SERVICE BULLETIN?) on some kind of variable valve timing camshaft something-or-other. He said the result of the problem can be oil sludge which can lead to low oil pressure, which can lead to needing a $5,000 - 7,000 engine replacement on a vehicle that has always been maintained as suggested with only 85k miles!!! I have contacted Volvo customer service, and they want us to bring the car into the dealer to have it inspected to begin the process of determining if we have any recourse. We have really liked this vehicle, and had planned on buying another Volvo to replace it soon, but if Volvo can't find some way to help us out with this situation, I think they have lost a customer for life. Sorry for the lenghty 1st post. Any advice???

Old 12-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah if it was the problem with the camshaft like your mechanic said the problem would be at the top for the engine and if the dealer said you need an engine, the problem lies with the bottom end. Oil sludge is what destroys engines and although you service your car regularly, the previous owner may not have. One thing that Volvo loves is if you maintained your car and took it to the dealer every time. If you show loyalty to the brand by not taking it other places they they love you. So with that said, there is a good chance that they will either help you out with paying for the price of the part and you have to pay the labor, or they might just go ahead and goodwill the entire thing you never know.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That is interesting. I have not read of Volvo's having an issue with sludge build up.

You say that you had servicing done regularly, have you always used full synthetic oil since your ownership? Is your car turbo?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Every car will have problems with sludge build up if they go too long between oil changes. Doesn't matter if you use synthetic or not running old dirty oil is still running old dirty through your engine.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 PM

damien360 - I sure hope Volvo leans in the direction of your response; we'll see

rspi - Yes, T5 turbo. And I don't personally change the oil, but I'm assuming the dealer is using full synthetic for their oil changes, as that is what the car should be getting.

I won't be able to get the vehicle into the dealer to start this whole process until early next week, and that will be slowed by the holiday, so I'm sure resolution will be a waiting game. I will keep you posted, however.

Thanks for any and all responses and input.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The car does not require synthetic and therefore a basic oil change would not include synthetic oil. But if you have a good service history with the dealer, I would expect some help from Volvo.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Not trying to be a smartass but the light says "stop the vehicle" not keep driving it. How low was the oil? If not more than a quart then I would look at the oil pickup inside the oil pan.The oil pickup has a seal that hardens over time and lets the oil pump draw air causing low oil pressure. If its knocking there's a good chance that it has spun a rod bearing. Stop running the motor. Have them remove the oil pan and check the connecting rods. If the bearing has spun the rod should be discolored from heat. The cylinder head is t-shaped and holds oil above the exhaust manifold letting it cook after you turn the engine off. Not the best design for sludge prevention.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

The head is a normal DOHC configuration. It doesn't hold oil above the exhaust manifold. I've had plenty of heads off and there isn't any more slude on the exhaust side than the intake side.

Last edited by ES6T; 12-21-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If someone abuses a turbo car it can have oil issues, not letting them warm up and cool down properly, but I have never heard of these T5 motors having any sludge issues. I believe all turbo cars should use full synthetic to avoid those problems.

The head holds oil above the valves to lubricate the valve top ends, that's a good thing.

I always tell people that a tow job is usually cheaper than a motor replacement when you suspect a motor lubrication or cooling problem. Most people have FREE TOWING on their insurance. The dash warning is a good indicator. Maybe it should include the statement "A tow is cheaper than the motor replacement".

Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Rspi, Volvo didn't even start using synthetic oil in their cars into MY13 or else I would've used it on all warranty services before then. so once again it doesn't matter if you use synthetic out not. If you keep old oil in the engine longer than recommended you will have sludge problems.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:48 PM

It holds oil below the camshafts instead of letting it drain back to the pan. The problems have more to do with the sorry oil pickup system than "sludge" which is nothing more than some bs term that the average tech/parts changer uses to explain problems with oil pressure and volume. I guess we can thank Castrol for that bit of marketing hype. I haven't found synthetic oil to be that much better than conventional oil but everyone has an opinion about oil.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

You think sludge is a made up term? Next time I have to drop a pan to clean it out I'll have to take a picture for you. Sludge is a very real thing.