General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Could a bad oil filter cause an oil um to go bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a bad oil filter cause an oil um to go bad

My 2OO6 volvo xc9O was perfect i had an oil change at a local sho in November,
Needs maintenance message came on about 2 weeks ago, check engine light came on Friday at 1, no oil pressure message came on stop car it sounded loud, car towed it in to a sho , but they are not VOLVO EXERTS so i am a little afraid
sho stated the filter
LOOKED very old, but it SHOULD have been on in November, could this have caused my problem
and ruined my oil um
, they said filter was yukky
could this have been the problem if a cheap oil filter was used

Last edited by Voondah; 01-30-2023 at 06:32 PM. Reason: missing letters
Old 01-31-2023, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

the filter holds about a pint of oil give or take so assuming they changed the oil but not the fiter, it would be like putting half a quart of dirty oil back in. Since the car holds about 5-6 quarts that would be diluted so you'd have plenty of lubrication. The other thing to consider is the shop never changed the oil. Then you'd have 100% old oil - so the question would be what did the oil look like when the second shop drained it? did they filter the oil to look for metal bits or other debris that could possibly have clogged the pump pick up?

To note on your question of cheap oil filters, the concern of after market filters are two fold 1) some filters are too restrictive which can lower oil pressure 2) some filters are too porous which can allow some particles to pass through. But, with fresh oil and a new filter, there shouldn't be that much debris in 2 months driving to make a filter "yukky". At this point the next steps would be to drop the oil pan, inspect for any debris in the bottom of the pan (note it may have been accumulating for a long period of time or something bad has already happened to a bearing or seal) check for any debris in the oil pump pick up, clean the bottom end of any/all gunk and hope for the best.

Note, on older Volvos (like the 850s) it was not all that uncommon for the bottom end to get gunked up (which in turn would present as a clogged PCV system), particularly if the car did not get serviced regularly. you didn't mention the miles on your car or which engine or if you have any other symptoms like odd knocking sounds etc. My closest experience here was on a 2012 VW which had the oil pressure light come on at 49K miles due to debris in the pick up. The car was dealer maintained, used synthetic oil etc. VW replaced the engine under warranty which I suspect was due to a known manufacturing issue unrelated to servicing the car. Something got worn, dropped debris and it finally clogged the pump. Point here is, you may never know and this kind of stuff happens from time to time.