General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Geartronic / Automatic / "Fake Manual"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geartronic / Automatic / "Fake Manual"

I decided to start my own thread about this, because this is a valid question that goes beyond individual speculation and preference.

Why would Volvo introduce a car that has automatic, AND "fake manual" mode? What was the reason for it? As far as I can find, there is no actual "pro" of having both, in the same car. Was it just a sales gimmick that it's "fun" and nothing more?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's "fun" and any competing cars have it available as well

Old 04-06-2014, 11:44 AM

So, again, why ? Why would Volvo or its competition have it? Did they introduce it because it is fun?

To make it clear: Another example of something a carmaker introduced is the "W" button, which starts the car in lower gear. That makes sense - it is helpful, it actually does something good, which is a good sales point.

What was the thinking behind putting both automatic, and fake manual, in a car?

Individual opinion, and speculation is cool, but does not answer the question. Furthermore, just because a competing car has a feature, doesn't make it a good thing.

Are there any actual Volvo experts here who knows?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If by "actual Volvo experts", you mean engineers involved with the design of the transmission- no. There are a couple dealer techs, such as myself.

Why does it bother you so much? I've never heard of someone being so bothered by a feature that is optional to use and doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited by ES6T; 04-07-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Banned

Why don't you go and ask the dealer for themselves? Or email Volvo Cars of whatever region you're in. They'll be more than happy to answer your questions about how bothered you are by the Geartronic feature in their cars. Manufacturers have their reasons and their reasons only. We've supplied many reasons for you in the other thread you hijacked. Individual opinions and speculations don't answer the questions, but nor do your ongoing queries about this. You know what you use the feature for, so use it. This is almost like asking why Volvo put two cup holders in the front console. Yeah sure it holds your drinks. It's a good sales point *sarcasm*. But why did they put it there? It holds your drinks when you drive. Nearly every car has that. But nearly car has Geartronic as well. So basically, why would manufacturers put cup holders in cars, but also Geartronic? Cup holders help hold your drinks in a nice confined space and also serve as storage for keys or whatever you put in there. Geartronic helps 2nd or 3rd gear starts and all those kinds of things we talked about before. Here's my advice to you. Stop worrying about it for one. It's there so it's there. Use it, do whatever you want with it. Secondly, call Volvo if you're really that desperate for an answer. Not many Volvo 'experts' are going to want to answer something so pointless on here, so you might as well try your luck over the phone. Sure it doesn't help to ask, but something that is so pointless which bothers you so much is just lame.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 AM

Here's my take. It is a convenience feature for drivers who want to enjoy the ease of an automatic but prefer the responsiveness of a manual when they need it.

For downhill engine braking, and towing, the option to stick an automatic into a low gear has always been around. Manumatic transmissions, which is what the Geartronic is, allow you to up or down shift into any gear while driving. Essentially it relieves the driver of the need for skill in operating clutch and engine speed in conjunction with the gear change.

This is good for peak hour traffic. You prefer manual but hate having to depress the clutch pedal all the time just to move 5 feet. Same for engine braking down hill or for towing.

On the other hand, you prefer might prefer the ease of an automatic, but you want the option to overtake a semi trailer on the highway in a responsive way. Nothing like pulling out to overtake, and the auto doesn't know if you want to stay in Drive or drop back to 2 or 3. The "M" option, let's you choose your gear the instant you need it. Far safer for overtaking IMO.

So a Manumatic gives you the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Paul Chapman; 06-20-2019 at 01:12 AM.