General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Hi Tuning chips are excellent.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Tuning chips are excellent.

I've been running Hi Tuning fuel and EZK chips in my 1990 740 turbo for just over two years now, have had to pull the head today due to an external coolant leak of the head gasket. Probably caused by a 22 psi pressure cap....
The car runs 14 psi of boost on a stock turbo and intercooler.
Anyway, the exhaust valves have a nice dark tan colour to them, plugs the same. No excessive carbon buildup anywhere. There is still a nice swirl pattern to the combustion marks on the pistons, and some areas of the piston still have uncarbonised metal showing!
This car has been an almost daily driver, going from -8 degrees c to 45 degrees c, and has typically returned 10-10.5 l/ 100km around town.
The chips have provided excellent driveability and no flat spots or bogging/ hesitation, the car behaves like a stock vehicle would.
To say I am impressed with these chips is an understatement. There has obviously been a lot of tuning work that has gone into these chips, to deliver excellent power, driveability and most importantly, reliability over such a time span is amazing for an aftermarket tune. They usually just dump more fuel in and ignore anything else.
So, if you are even considering chips, go with Hi Tuning.
As an aside, if you are constantly blowing up engines, you have something fundamental wrong, be it fuel pressure, ignition, cooling system etc.
Volvo redblocks are stout and will take a lot of abuse, IF the fuel, cooling and ignition system is maintained.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a set of chips from Hi-Tuning 3-4 years ago and ran them on my 760. I too had great results. It's important to know that chips don't fix your car. Your car has to already be in decent enough form to tolerate more boost. At the time I bought them, they were called "Fred's Chips" on turbobricks. Then, shortly after I bought mine, there was an enormous price hike and it was revealed that Fred wasn't burning the chips on his own but rather was a front man for HiTuning. Still...apart from the drama...they allowed an extra margin of safety for me as I was running a stock T3 and stock i/c.
Eventually, as a result of the price hike, I was able to sell my set for more than I had in 'em so I did! There is now a US based fellow making chips every bit as good. And, for those of us in the US, he's much more accessible and cheaper!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have had these chips for a couple years now. They work pretty good, but unlike swiftjustice, I got these at they're peak price...

Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have googled Fred's Chips many times to gain more information on them but have found nothing. Who is now selling these? What kind of dollar figure would I be looking at for a set?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Will1147
I have googled Fred's Chips many times to gain more information on them but have found nothing. Who is now selling these? What kind of dollar figure would I be looking at for a set?
http://www.hi-tuning.com/index.php?lang=en

Simple search of HI TUNING brought that up...

Freds chips brings up a lot of Volvo forum stuff...