General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Instrument light dimmer switch doesn't work in the daylight V60

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instrument light dimmer switch doesn't work in the daylight V60

2016 V60 AWD

Does this make sense?

I've never used the instrument panel dimmer **** and today I gave it a try. It wouldn't dim.

Went to the dealer and they said it is a safety feature and it will not dim in the daylight. They don't want the instrument panel lights to not be visible in the day.

But at night it will dim until the entire instrument cluster is dark.

Does that make sense? At night you can dim it to nothing but in the day you can't even dim it a little bit. Safety or is it not working as it should?

Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it makes sense - sort of.
Some people do get glare from light sources when they are in very dark places. (Some intraocular lens wearers, for instance). I prefer to totally dim out my dash lights at night on the highway (I really don't look at the speedometer, the tach isn't important in highway driving w/ an auto, and I have to pee long before I will run out of gas) Now, whether or not the headlights blazing down the road in front of you is enough to overcome the pinpoint light halos or not I do not know but I suspect that the answer will be of the "everyone is different" type.But there is a slight chance that there could be a safety concern (after all, I have never seen a car without dash dimmers, has to be a reason,
right?)
To your "problem (though for the life of me I can't see why you would want to dim them totally in daylight).There is a sensor on your dash - almost always on Volvos front and center right under the windshield. Volvo has all sorts of odd names for them but the thing is, you can cover it up (black felt, baseball cap, handicap mirror hanger, comic book,.....) Now you car thinks it's nightime. Adjust away.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donf
To your "problem (though for the life of me I can't see why you would want to dim them totally in daylight).
Dimming totally? Not really.

Why dim, well for the same reason some people have their computer brightness display settings are at 100% and some are at 75% and some less. It is personal preference. I wanted to dim those lights a bit because I had a headache for a week and didn't want to see those lights. No biggie --- I just found it odd that they said you can't dim i the day "for safety" but at night --- ah go ahead and dim those puppies to almost black. No need to worry about speed at night.