General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Leather Treatment Kit

Old 10-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Treatment Kit

I am planning on using the Volvo Leather Kit on my wifes S60 tomorrow. Just looking to see if anyone has any do's or don'ts before I use the cleaner and conditioner. The directions look pretty straight forward, but I'm always open to helpful tips.
Thanks-

Old 10-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leather Treatment Kit

first, i gotta tell you a story (because it has a moral)

when i bought my volvo, the dealer made sure the interior was nice and clean for me when i drove it off the lot. so he had his guys clean out/vaccume/treat everything in the interior. the dash, seats (also leather, only reason i brought this up), everything...including the steerin wheel....with frickin armor all....so, not only was i sliding around in the seat, i actually had to hold a white-knuckle death grip on the wheel to make it all the way around a corner....thank goodness nobody tried to take me out, i wouldnt have been able to swerve, and i would have slid into the floorboard!

moral: make sure it doesnt have any silicone, like armor all does. not only does it make surfaces slippery, but the silicone dries out fast, and regular use can dry out seats (with the help of the sun baking it in), and the dash, making them crack and break a lot easier than just using a cleaner. im sure it shouldt be a problem, since its leather specific stuff, but double check the ingredients, look for any type of lubricant, and most importantly, dont use it on the steering wheel!

Old 10-30-2005, 02:01 AM

I usually just follow the cleaning instructions and then apply the conditioner with my bare hands. Seems to do a better job that way and it also got me over my aversion to slime. I do it twce a year, and yes, Armor All is not good. It will make your dash so shiny you won't be able to see out the windshield.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM

I have found that Swifer cloths work the best for that kind of general cleaning, I dont use armor all any more. I hate the stuff.