General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Modification question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification question

What would be the first thing that you will going to modify on your car? Is it the engine part of the exterior like paint, body kits etc?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Modification question

This doesn't belong in the "EXTERIOR" section of the forum. Unless this is about just the "EXTERIOR" of the car. Meaning...

Tint, Rims, Headlights, Turn Signals, Bodykits, Spoilers, Eyebrows.

I am moving this to the General Volvo Section. As I believe your actual question you are asking is...

What would you guys modify first? The exterior of the car, or the engine.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really open-ended question,and I like it. It really depends on time and budget. I like to replace worn parts withbetter-than OE parts. This way if I have to replace something at least its better. A great way to budget my spending.

I think the biggest improvement exteriorwise would be upgrading wheels and tires. Going from 15" or 16" to 17" or 18" would be a huge change.Besides looking great you will also benefit from slightly better handling from lower profile/wider tires. But that will set you back quite a bit and its best to get several quotes before finally deciding ona set. Body kits are somewhat overrated for factory wheels/factory ride height unless it came with it. So wheels first, body kit later.

As far as engine goes, start with a vision. 'What do you want out of your car?' - A fun, reliable daily driver; a fast sleeper; a weekend warrior? This will help you decide what kind of performance parts you want. Someone on a budget (like me) starts with 'maintenance' items. Plugs, filters, oil, brakes (sometimes overlooked), shocks, springs. After that, go nuts.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Also what car do you own?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Also what car do you own?
2003 Volvo S60.. I'm thinking about modifying my car or my brothers car which is 1998 Mitsubishi Galant

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 01_fast_ride

This is a really open-ended question,and I like it. It really depends on time and budget. I like to replace worn parts withbetter-than OE parts. This way if I have to replace something at least its better. A great way to budget my spending.

I think the biggest improvement exteriorwise would be upgrading wheels and tires. Going from 15" or 16" to 17" or 18" would be a huge change.Besides looking great you will also benefit from slightly better handling from lower profile/wider tires. But that will set you back quite a bit and its best to get several quotes before finally deciding ona set. Body kits are somewhat overrated for factory wheels/factory ride height unless it came with it. So wheels first, body kit later.

As far as engine goes, start with a vision. 'What do you want out of your car?' - A fun, reliable daily driver; a fast sleeper; a weekend warrior? This will help you decide what kind of performance parts you want. Someone on a budget (like me) starts with 'maintenance' items. Plugs, filters, oil, brakes (sometimes overlooked), shocks, springs. After that, go nuts.

Just getting some informations about it. I'm not really gonna modify my car or my brother's car right now. After a get comments and suggestion from you guys, that's when I'll start to plan what look I want for my car.

And by the way fast_ride thanks for your insight!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Go suspension first.
Then Rims.

Then go-fast stuff.