General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

MOT works estimate.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT works estimate.

Hello everybody, I have been reading posts here for some time now so thank you all for some very useful information.
I have now registered so I can ask for opinions on the estimate for the work that a Volvo garage thinks my late '96 Volvo 855 2.0L petrol auto needs to pass it's MOT.

This estimate is from Hildenborough Group, Hildenborough, 140 Tonbridge Road, KENT and was supplied by e-mail from a Mr Victor Furmenger a "service advisor" who, when I asked three times, told me that it was not possible to speak to the vehicle examiner, a Mr J.F.Kitchenham. I did manage to get the ECU codes relating to the ABS unit which, for interest are: 4-4-3 & 3-1-4 & 1-4-3.

The estimate below is copied and pasted without any changes.

Dear Mr Higham

Please find below estimate for MOT related repairs.

N/S track rod end ................... £159.62
ABS module .......................... £ 606.63
Tow bar retaining bolts ............ £ 59.22
Front number plate ................. £ 35.65
Tyre ...................................... £131.96
o/s wiper arm and blades ........ £ 65.67
Hand brake shoes .................. £157.44

May require new n/s/f lower arm after track rod end replacement.

n/s/f lower arm ....................... £ 214.48

The prices for ABS fault, handbrake fault and towbar are suject to further investigation (the codes stored relating to ABS suggests that the module is at fault but will require further investigation to confirm).

Please note that all prices include parts, labour and VAT.

Kind regards,

Vic.

The car must be re-tested by Friday the 7th August and I have already arranged for the track rod to be replaced and rear breaks checked tomorrow at a local garage. The new number plate is already fitted (from Halfords £13.69 inc VAT) Wipers replaced including o/s arm that was slightly bent.
ABS ECU will be removed and repaired (guaranteed) tomorrow by a company called SW Autos (for £100 plus VAT, I know I could fix it myself but I want the guarantee) Tow bar will simply be removed for the re-test (I fitted it and left out 3 of the 16 bolts as I coudn't be bothered to fit them) Two new tyres will be fitted to the front (rear two are already new)

I would appreciate any comments as I intend to take up this estimate with the manager of Hildenborough Volvo group, a Mr Peter Nott. As Volvo owners please feel free to say exactly what you think and I will pass on your thoughts.

GOGO332.