General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

my 740 stories

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 740 stories

been posted a bit here since I bought a 850 T wagon that needs alittle help.

But I have owned, and loved, a few 740's before.

1990 740 sedan:
bought for $1200
Ran for about 8 months then someone pulled out in front of my wife and the car was totalled. I bought it back from the insurance company. I got $1500 payoff...and then spend $100 to fix the head light and fender. I beat out the dent in corner of the hood as best I could. Not pretty, but driveable.

Then 4 months later (xmass eve) I was hit my a guy driving a big truck who had his left turn signal on, and then turned right. He his the same finder and light I had replaced before.

He was in a panic, He had 5 people in the truck cause another car had lost its timing belt and he was looking for a auto store to get parts (traveling to familly for xmass)
Well, I had called the cops but didnt want the guy to get into alot of trouble over cosmetic damage. Then he wips out $300, which I took and sent him on his way.
4 months after than the MAF went bad, and it needed some other work for a new sticker. I decided to get another volvo and sold that one for $75.
That baby paid for itself!

Next was my awsome '92 740 turbo wagon (Red) which I bought for just $450! This car was running, stickered and looked great. I still have a utube vid of her!
I drove it for 8 months, then had to replace the rear calipers ($300)
7 months after that I had a fuel issue crop up. Most likely a fuel pump or reley. It was also time for a new sticker and it needed a tie rod, exhaust work and some other small bits.
I decided to sell it. I let the buyer know ALL the work it needed...and still managed to sell it for $500!

I had 2 other 740s which also ran well for what I paid for them.

Its funny that I ever started driving volvo's. I had a '96 pontiac grand prix when I was 19 that I thought was pretty cool. It was black, tinted windows ect.
I had an accident with a school bus and a mail truck at the same time and totalled the car.
I bet Im the only guy to hit both of those types of vehicles at the same time. No one was at fualt in the accident

Anyway, my dad felt bad cause I still had 18 months left to pay on the pontiac (didnt have full coverage) so I was pretty screwed.

He bought a stickered 740 with over 200k for $700 and gave it to me.
At 1st, I hated it. Less power than my pontiac, no A/C, no tinted windows and the stereo sucked.
But then winter came. The FR volvo showed its true colors! I was drifting that car everywhere!
Then my cat bolts rusted off. So the exhuast was coming right off the header.
I didnt bother to fix it. It was middle of winter. My co-workers would bet which night I would blow the motor....as I would start it up after work and take right of WOT.
I was not nice to that car. I didnt know what I know now about vehicle mainainence.
I also hadnt chanced the oil since I got it.
1 night it started, but could hardly idle.
the next day while gassing up I check the dip stick....there was 1 inch of thick sludge on the stick.
I took the car to walmart for them to change the oil.

They called me back 5 minutes later and said when they took out the drain plug Nothing came out. So they put a screw driver in and it came out with 4 inches of half-forzen sludge.
The oil was so oil it was broken down and seperated so that it would freeze up in the oil pan. Thats why it had trouble idling before the motor warmed up.

I waited another month till it was above 40 degrees and drained the oil. came out looking like black water. Not like oil at all.

Drove that beast for another 6 month before getting another 740. She never gave me any issues.

Big, boxy tanks the 740's are...and I love them.

My daugther is 10 years old and tells me her 1st car will be a mustang (not even the cool old ones, but a mid 90's model)
I told her she will get a volvo!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

LOL, I loved my '87 740 GLE. I had over 400,000 on it when I gave it to a single mom.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
LOL, I loved my '87 740 GLE. I had over 400,000 on it when I gave it to a single mom.
you should have seen my face the day i bought the 740 turbo wagon for $450!
The people I bought it from had just replaced it with one of the newer volvo convertables. And they had a 850 turbo they were rebuilding.

Always best to buy from those who love volvos.