General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

No leather ! ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 12:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No leather ! ?

So I see the other day that by 2030 Volvo isn't going to offer leather upholstery in their cars anymore, some kind of ethical concern or something like that, lower carbon blah blah blah. Seriously, but cows are going to be continually butchered for their meat for food, so is this really a serious concern by Geely-Volvo or is it just a money saving thing? I would like to know how to contact Volvo directly through email or telephone to voice my dissent. My goodness, who wants to buy a European luxury automobile with plastic seats? Not me. And the other thing ..... all electric by 2030? Why? Have you driven an electric car? I have. I bought a Chevy Volt when they first came out. Some of the decisions you have to make are like this...... hmmmm do I want to blow my battery on keeping cool in the summer or warm in the winter, ie.. use the ac or heater or do I want to open the windows in the summer or freeze to death in the winter, never mind seeing out the windshield. These are the decisions you have to make when owning an electric car. Yeah they're fine for short trips around town, but they suck for anything other than that in my opinion. Also there simply isn't an infrastructure built up in the USA where you could do fast charges off the highways. And you can make fuel out of corn, so even if good old Mother Earth craps out on the oil reserves, you can still have internal combustion. Internal combustion engines can supply much more power in all situations than any electric car on the market. Well I feel better, how about you?

Old 11-03-2021, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The infrastructure is rapidly expanding. EVs are coming from all manufacturers and are going to be a bit different than your Volt.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

the quality of synthetic leather is quite good these days and more resistant to wear, scuffs etc. I don't think you'll miss not sitting on a dead cow. You may be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:31 PM

Great posts. However at my age, I'll probably buy no more than one more Volvo. So I can buy one with an engine and animal skin seats.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hezekiah777
My goodness, who wants to buy a European luxury automobile with plastic seats?
More Mercedesleave the factory with MB Tex than leather. Whats odd is how the MB forums seem to LIKE the stuff better but are full of posts about 10 YO cars with horrible seats

Old 11-07-2021, 05:26 PM

Im wondering if this is a generational shift?

Old 11-08-2021, 10:11 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Likely so. Again looking at MB, leather is standard on E and S class cars, which would be more likely to be owned by older people,

Thinking about it some more, the shift may have more to do with longevity than anything else.
Years ago I had an employee get a letter from Honda apologizing because they had discovered that their interiors were disintegrating on the early Hondas, they claimed that they did not expect their cars to last as long as they were.
Looking at other brands, how many today can be expected to last 15, 20 years or more? Good vinyl does last 10 years or more but the average BMW dies about then, MB were once longevity kings but their lifespan is not much better. Audi? 'Nuff said. my S70 seats were still presentable at nearly 300,000 miles although the drivers seat needed repainted, the leather was still good however. My 05 S80 still has great leather with only some bolster rubbing evident, sadly I can already see that it will never see 300,000 k. And the newer models seem even less built to last forever.
The coatings that color our leather seats adversely affect their ability to breathe eliminating another advantage of ;eather.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:06 PM

I hope you're wrong about that. Volvo to me has always had that "lasts forever" if you take care of it persona. I still see 240's and 740's, 940's for sale. I bought my 2017 S60T5 used this year with 72K on the clock, and was thinking if I baby it and treat it lovingly, maybe just maybe it could be the last car I need. (I'm planning on retiring next year ) Not that I'm going to try to beat Irv Gordons record or anything. It's funny I've had my S60 for almost 6 months, went on several long trips across the US in it, and even though it wasn't mine from the beginning of it's life, I feel like I just really love it. And it is the nicest Volvo I've ever owned. But when I was looking for a car 6 months ago I was contemplating a S80T6 ten years old with 122K on the clock vs the one I bought. I bought the newer car,so that is that. I never thought Volvo would go the planned obsolescence route.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to keep cars for very long times... Owned a 95 850T from new for 23 years until we inherited a 2008. Still own a 2000 S40. The S40 now has duct tape on the driver's seat to cover a leather crack. The 850 developed similar wear so even if you go leather, you won't get a lifetime of care free living. Our 2003 Highlander is also showing signs of cracks and wear in the drivers seat leather so it even happens to Toyotas. My 2012 VW CC has the synthetic leather - still looks factory new after 10 years. I need to report back in another 10 years on that one.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
I tend to keep cars for very long times... Owned a 95 850T from new for 23 years until we inherited a 2008. Still own a 2000 S40. The S40 now has duct tape on the driver's seat to cover a leather crack. The 850 developed similar wear so even if you go leather, you won't get a lifetime of care free living. Our 2003 Highlander is also showing signs of cracks and wear in the drivers seat leather so it even happens to Toyotas. My 2012 VW CC has the synthetic leather - still looks factory new after 10 years. I need to report back in another 10 years on that one.
Hey, let me ask you, do you use the leather care wipes/kit or Maguires etc... every 3 months or not? I'm wondering if you religiously do that if they will last longer. My car is a 2017 S60T5, and although I've never had leather before, my other 3 Volvos were all cloth seats, but mine currently look: drivers seat a little shiny, but still nice, passenger front and back seat look brand new.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

I used the Volvo recommended leather care kit but after owning a car for say 5 years, keeping up with regular care treatments for the seat leather didn't last. Mostly I'd just wipe up coffee spills :-) that said, there's no harm is using a leather treatment to add moisture back to the leather, but its difficult to keep that regiment up for the life of the car.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. Coincidentally I was browsing the new Volvos at a dealer near my home, and most of the ones that I would be interested in all had some combination of cloth seats or "textile" with leather or vinyl trim. So it's already starting.And as I perused the 29 pictures on each car, I thought to myself....... I'd rather have my dead cow to sit on.!

Old 11-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Having leather seats was a "must" for me until I acquired the VW with the synthetic and that sold me. In reality what I didn't want was cloth seats like those in a rental...

The following users liked this post:
hezekiah777 (11-11-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems most of the cars/trucks I have owned have/had leather seats. They all served me well. This year I started looking at buying a new car. My family/friends are all dipping their toes into the electric vehicle ponds and suggested I do the same. So, I ordered a 2022 C40 this week. The C40 does not have any leather in the interior. Some of the reviewers out on YouTube refer to the “new” interior focus as being a vegan interior! What a hoot! Volvo make it clear how the interior of a C40 does have some animal-based products, but no leather. Therefore, the vegan term is not entirely correct. Funny how the future just seems to sneak up on you some days and gives you a slap on the back of head. Haha!

Old 11-12-2021, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzyBud
Seems most of the cars/trucks I have owned have/had leather seats. They all served me well. This year I started looking at buying a new car. My family/friends are all dipping their toes into the electric vehicle ponds and suggested I do the same. So, I ordered a 2022 C40 this week. The C40 does not have any leather in the interior. Some of the reviewers out on YouTube refer to the “new” interior focus as being a vegan interior! What a hoot! Volvo make it clear how the interior of a C40 does have some animal-based products, but no leather. Therefore, the vegan term is not entirely correct. Funny how the future just seems to sneak up on you some days and gives you a slap on the back of head. Haha!
So you bought the C40 Recharge full electric car? Please post on this forum after you get it and then in about a year and let me know how you like it. I did buy an electric car way before everyone went gaga over them, and I didn't like them. But I did like the 2022 XC60 B5 with the low level hybrid electric motor in it. Enjoy your new Volvo!

The following users liked this post:
BuzzyBud (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hezekiah777
So you bought the C40 Recharge full electric car? Please post on this forum after you get it and then in about a year and let me know how you like it. I did buy an electric car way before everyone went gaga over them, and I didn't like them. But I did like the 2022 XC60 B5 with the low level hybrid electric motor in it. Enjoy your new Volvo!
Yes, this will be my first Volvo and yes, it is the full electric car. I believe it will take a few months before it arrives but should be worth the wait. I have two brothers and three friends who each have full electric cars, I seem to be the last in my circle of family/friends to take the plunge. They are all eager to give me "helpful hints"! Ha, what a circus!
Although the C40 should have a decent range (~225miles) some of my road trips will exceed that limit. Looking forward to using apps, such as "A Better Route Planner" to guide me toward the DC High Speed charging stations and provide recommendations for nearby sandwich shops for a bite to eat. This is going to be an amazing journey and with a Volvo, I should be able to accomplish these trips in style.
I did express my only concern to my brothers. "I hope I do not have to trade in my Carhartt clothes for Ralph Lauren!" Haha!!