General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Nokian WRG2 - All seasons, including winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Nokian WRG2 - All seasons, including winter

Since winter is almost upon us, I thought I'd put in a plug for the Nokian WRG2 tires. If you live in a northern climate, and want/need to use the same set of tires year round, these are the best choice, in my opinion. I'm going into my 3rd winter with them and have been very happy.

Most "all-season" tires are really 3-season, and are lousy in snow and ice. On the other hand, virtually all winter tires can't be run in summer without wearing them out in one year.

The Nokian WRG2 is made in Finland, where they know snow. It's designed to be an all-season tire, and yet is winter rated (yes, they carry the mountain/snowflake symbol). Treadlife is good when used year round, and summer performance, while a compromise, is okay. Winter performance is much better than any other all-season tire made.

If you're in a true northern state - like New England or any of those along the Canadian border, I'd highly recommend these as an all-season tire. They are a little pricy, but well worth it.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 PM

S70...where abouts are you?
This is the second year now that in the province of Quebec, it is manditory to have true winter tires. I think they had a little slack to the "M+S" tires, but you need winters. I had yoko iceguards on my 850 last winter and they where good. This year is the first year i'll be driving with studs...i bought the nokian hakka 5 studded tires, we'll see how it goes on my '06 V70....but they do seem to make good tires overall.
ciao
fabs

Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by chef
S70...where abouts are you?
This is the second year now that in the province of Quebec, it is manditory to have true winter tires. I think they had a little slack to the "M+S" tires, but you need winters. I had yoko iceguards on my 850 last winter and they where good. This year is the first year i'll be driving with studs...i bought the nokian hakka 5 studded tires, we'll see how it goes on my '06 V70....but they do seem to make good tires overall.
ciao
fabs

Hi Chef - I am in Massachusetts, right up near the NH border, so we get some pretty fair snow, slush and ice here between the end of November and the start of April normally. As a brand at least, I think Nokian is the best for winter tires - I read they do 80% of their revenue through that side.

The WRG2's aren't going to be as good in winter as those Hakkapelitta 5's and studs, that's for sure. I want to use one set of tires year round though, and for tires that work year round, I think these are the best winter performers.

When you say it's mandatory to have true winter tires in Quebec, do you mean legally mandated?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Hey S70 how are you? well for the tires, if you should get pulled over and the cops nice you don't have winter tires, you can get a ticket! usually it's if they notice the tires you have.....it's more for insurance purposes as well, if you have or cause an accident, you might not get compensated for damages cause you didn't have 4 winter tires. so you need them, i think it's a bit of a scam, but it's also a good piece of mind.
Ya we just got some snow yesterday maybe 1/2 and inch..so far so good. Supposidly tomorrow we should be getting between 15-22 centimeters! woohoo! get ready hakka's!
ciao
fabs

Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I got you beat. We've had 4 inches today so far and 3-5 more on the way tonight.

I win.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by chef
Hey S70 how are you? well for the tires, if you should get pulled over and the cops nice you don't have winter tires, you can get a ticket! usually it's if they notice the tires you have.....it's more for insurance purposes as well, if you have or cause an accident, you might not get compensated for damages cause you didn't have 4 winter tires. so you need them, i think it's a bit of a scam, but it's also a good piece of mind.
Ya we just got some snow yesterday maybe 1/2 and inch..so far so good. Supposidly tomorrow we should be getting between 15-22 centimeters! woohoo! get ready hakka's!
ciao
fabs

Hi chef - well I guess you guys get some good snow up there and it probably hangs around all winter too, so I can see wanting good snow boots up there. Let me know how you like those Hakka 5's once you really get to plow some snow with them. :-)

We're supposed to get a storm here tomorrow on the coast - lots of precipitation, but snow changing over to rain, so only the morning commute should be challenging. I just drive slow - arriving is the main goal ;-).

Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM

update*****
Ya we do get a lot of snow up here...the sad thing is that the city crews are usually not that organized and a few years back we didn't know where to dump all this stuff!!! hahah
here are a few pics so far..it started around 7 this morning and stiff blowing..there's about 4-5 inches so far on the ground and more to come..today will be the first time i'll be driving with the studds on a lot of snow...i'll let you know how it goes...
ciao
fabs
i'll try posting pics on the main page..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 AM

hi guys...here are some pics of the winter wonderland...ciao
fabs

Attached Thumbnails Nokian WRG2 - All seasons, including winter-img_0631.jpg   Nokian WRG2 - All seasons, including winter-img_0630.jpg   Nokian WRG2 - All seasons, including winter-img_0632.jpg