General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Our Volvo V60cc Needs a Wider Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our Volvo V60cc Needs a Wider Gas Pedal

Our Volvo V60cc has a narrow gas pedal that is a fair distance from the tunnel.
My wife has limited feeling in her right foot/ankle. I think her foot slips off the gas pedal to to the right, between the pedal and the tunnel, and then gets "caught" behind the pedal. This has led to some tense situations when she was unable to accelerate into traffic.

It would seem all we would need is a wider gas pedal. Unfortunately, the gas pedal assembly is all one piece (not a replaceable pad). I tried local and national Volvo, and the local "mobility" modification provider, and they don't seem interested.

Help! It's not that I mind driving my wife around, you know, but driving by myself (preferably in the M Roadster) is pretty much the only time I can listen to my preferred music, at a preferred volume ...

Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole "Unintended Acceleration" issue that plagued Audi about 20 years ago made gas pedal placement a sticky situation. No one wants to sign up for a lawsuit by modifying the arrangement.

Seems to me you could modify your own pedal using some accessories from hot rod catalogs. There are plenty of alloy pedals that you might be able to attach to yours to make it wider. Obviously as I'm saying this I have visions of Audi sedans crashing through the back wall of garages. But it sounds like you're already having some dangerous issues anyway. Seems like an aluminum plate screwed into the existing accelerator pedal with short screws could be a solution.

Anyone thinking of flaming me about how dangerous my comment is, don't bother. I think we already know this requires special attention to safety.