General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

P2 endlinks: Volvo vs IPD HD vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2 endlinks: Volvo vs IPD HD vs ???

This will relate specifically to the P2 vehicles: S60, S80, V70, XC70, XC90 since they share the same endlinks.

I finally bit on the IPD sway bars last month during the online Garage Sale and just got them last week. I've read that the extra thick sway bars are tough on the stock endlinks. I think I am like most people on this forum: I don't like doing something twice and I hate paying for the same thing twice. So here were my thoughts for the endlinks.

Volvo: 10mm diameter. I've read that owners of the IPD sway bars get 6 months - 1 year out of the OEM links. Not cool.

IPD HD: 12mm diameter. Even though it only carries a 1 year warranty there are owners that have had the HD endlinks for more than 5 years and are still going strong! The only thing is cost = $60 per! Ouch. I couldn't convince myself to let go of that kind of money. Call me cheap.

There are plenty of other aftermarket parts to choose from but the ones I wanted to try out were from MOOG. MOOG is a brand from Federal-Mogul which is an OES. I made my purchase through RockAuto.com and I was surprised at just how beefy they felt.

MOOG: 1/2" or 12.6mm diameter. Lifetime warranty. Zerk fittings for grease. Time will tell how they hold up. But check this out: Less than half the cost of the IPD HDs through RockAuto.

That's all. I started this thread with the hopes that it helps someone else considering endlinks for their P2. I will update the thread if I have any findings. I plan on throwing on the sway bars (wish it were as easy as that sounds), links, and new shocks and struts this Sunday. Hopefully I can get it all done in one day.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:
Spent most of yesterday tinkering with the shocks and struts and sway bars (managed to do the rear bar, too tired to do the front bar). The size difference between stock and these MOOG parts is incredible. Everything is bigger. And that made installation that much trickier. First, I could get the bottom bolt (sway bar) connected but couldn't get the top bolt in. Then I tried the top one and couldn't get the bottom. In the end, it made things easier to have the rear up on ramps with the suspension loaded.