General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Parts supplier on the west coast of Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts supplier on the west coast of Canada?

What place(s) does everybody use for parts on the West coast of Canada? I know stuff can be shipped from iPD and FCP in the US but would like to try and avoid big shipping costs and border taxes etc...? Thanks for any info.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 PM

Hi from the Okanagan.

I've only had my 850 for a few months so I've only gotten parts from Lordco and Gilberts. I'm not sure what car you've got, but mine is the base GLT with the 10 valve motor (engine code 5254FS).

What I've found so far is that the aftermarket parts retailers don't show a 10-valve motor in their look up software so the parts guys won't believe you have a 10 valve motor until you show them, at least that's what I had to do.

I've been to the Volvo dealer in Kelowna and their parts guy is as sharp as a sack of wet leather. Ask me how long it takes to fit the wrong accessory drive belt. Go on ask me... I haven't tried the dealer in Kamloops yet but it might be a viable option.

Some guys have had luck with autopartsway.ca but I haven't used them yet. At least they show a 10 valve motor in their software so there is hope.

Depending on how close you are to the border you could try shipping parts from US parts houses to a US address and bringing them across the border yourself. There are business' that do just that. You save on the UPS rip off fee, and on the huge shipping bill (usually double) and the delay to clear customs.

DO NOT get someone else to bring your parts over the border for you.
DO NOT try and bring the stuff over the border with out declaring your purchase and paying the GST. No duty on auto parts manufactured in the US.

This is cheaper and faster that having a parts order shipped to you from the US. Don't forget your passport.

If you order from a US parts house they will not have a clue about the 10 valve motor so you must be sure of the parts and part number before you order. Do your homework.

The good news is: Volvos are much easier to work on that most Asian cars (in my experience). Just more room under the hood. It seems that Volvos were designed to be fixed when they need it. You'll know what I mean when you work on your car. Properly maintained your car should be good for 350,000 to 400,000 kilometres.

Volvo's do not respond well to cheap parts, spend the few extra bucks for the good parts made in Western Europe, Japan, or North America.

Sorry for the long winded response but this is what I've found out in the short time I've had my car.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by bctom
Hi from the Okanagan.

I've only had my 850 for a few months so I've only gotten parts from Lordco and Gilberts. I'm not sure what car you've got, but mine is the base GLT with the 10 valve motor (engine code 5254FS).

What I've found so far is that the aftermarket parts retailers don't show a 10-valve motor in their look up software so the parts guys won't believe you have a 10 valve motor until you show them, at least that's what I had to do.

I've been to the Volvo dealer in Kelowna and their parts guy is as sharp as a sack of wet leather. Ask me how long it takes to fit the wrong accessory drive belt. Go on ask me... I haven't tried the dealer in Kamloops yet but it might be a viable option.

Some guys have had luck with autopartsway.ca but I haven't used them yet. At least they show a 10 valve motor in their software so there is hope.

Depending on how close you are to the border you could try shipping parts from US parts houses to a US address and bringing them across the border yourself. There are business' that do just that. You save on the UPS rip off fee, and on the huge shipping bill (usually double) and the delay to clear customs.

DO NOT get someone else to bring your parts over the border for you.
DO NOT try and bring the stuff over the border with out declaring your purchase and paying the GST. No duty on auto parts manufactured in the US.

This is cheaper and faster that having a parts order shipped to you from the US. Don't forget your passport.

If you order from a US parts house they will not have a clue about the 10 valve motor so you must be sure of the parts and part number before you order. Do your homework.

The good news is: Volvos are much easier to work on that most Asian cars (in my experience). Just more room under the hood. It seems that Volvos were designed to be fixed when they need it. You'll know what I mean when you work on your car. Properly maintained your car should be good for 350,000 to 400,000 kilometres.

Volvo's do not respond well to cheap parts, spend the few extra bucks for the good parts made in Western Europe, Japan, or North America.

Sorry for the long winded response but this is what I've found out in the short time I've had my car.

Good luck

I appreciate the response! I also understand your points about border BS, been there, done that with numerous vehicles, boats and parts.

For basic stuff Lordco is OK but as you said, "buy decent quality stuff", Lordco has some issues there.....

I have a 1997 850AWD 5spd 20 valve 5 cylinder with an upgraded high output turbo and reprogramed ECM.....just been looking for some suspension parts and bushings etc.....again, thanks for the input. Jeremy

Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Volvos seem to be rare enough to have not attracted the attention of the real cheapo parts manufacturers. So you save a lot of aggravation already.

If you check the manufacturer when order the part from lordco (or wherever) you should be okay. There are parts that appear to be aftermarket but are in reality made by the same suppliers that produce the part for Volvo. Bosch, Aisin, Bougicord are some that come to mind.

I've found most of this out just searching this and other forums, so surf and lurk for info. I've also found that the local dealer prices are pretty competitive, but it depends on how badly the dealer is hosing their local market.