General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Question about Walmart tire center

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Walmart tire center

Hi,

Just went to Walmart for some new tires. They had the cheapest prices of course so that is why I ended up there. My trip was unsuccessful.

I was after a pair of Goodyears that were $59 a piece. The speed rating on them is H when Volvo asks for V. However, I've been running on H for awhile now with no problems. And I know others have as well. They would not install the tires because he said I would sue Walmart if I ever got in a accident and the tires were not properly rated.

Is this a standard policy amongst tire stores? Or is it just a Walmart thing? Or, is it just this one specific employee that decided he didn't want to take any more cars for the night.

Thanks for any insight,

Pat

Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not aware of any policy like that but it wouldn't surprise me. Wal-Mart is huge...more employees than the US military. TLE cranks out a lot of oil changes and tires per day. Errors are made such as oil plugs left off, lugs not tightened, etc. You're quite right in assuming H rated tires are fine for normal usage, but, being the last bastion for average ability workers, Wal-Mart (or at least the guy you dealt with) may very well choose not to deviate from spec. Have you ever tried tirerack.com? They have great prices and I usually get my tires thenext business day if I order in the morning. I then take them to an independent tire shop for mounting and balancing. I still come out cheaper than any of the local chains, including Wal-Mart.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You must not be a blonde fox. Go to the next Wal-Mart and you'll be fine. They tried to send me away one day when I wanted them to mount tires for me. They mount for something like $7.50 per tire sometimes. They broke the LOW PROFILE machine and by the time I got to the next store they told me that they did not do custom wheels and tire. So I told them that those were stock tires/wheels and they said prove it. I did not have a owners manual but the tag inside the gas cap shows the size. Bamb! They were stuck. Took them a while but I got the tires mounted and balanced for $15.

The only reason I fool with those folks is that I'm low on cash these days. Sam's club actually has a better shop and usually does better work. I'm sure your owners manual shows H rated tires in there unless you have a R. There are about 3 different tire sizes that are put on most of these cars. Also, that rating is all about speed. Remind them that the national speed limit is under 90 mph, unless you are going to ship the car to Germany they shouldn't be worried about it.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM

To your question, MANY service centers wil only follow the manufacturers recommendations. If the manufacturer has a wide range listed, then all is well. If not, then I'd think the servicer is concerned about deviating and being on the potentially legal hook. If I'm the servicer, and I put "xyz 105" whatever on the car and something goes wrong, who's holding the bag? The car manufacturer? Nope. The tire manufacturer? Nope. The servicer who put it on the car? Maybe. Cause, you know, the guy who put winter tires on his porsche and then went 180mph on 110 mph tires, had a malfunction, and lost it all is going to wind up in a lawsuit with someone. The car manufacturer says "here's my recommendations which weren't followed." The tire company says, "They were only rated for 110 mph and the fool went 180mph". The driver/family says "No one told us that and it IS a 180mph car" (and should have had the tire rating recommended by the manufacturer). And the Servicer who installed the tires says, "Well, that is what the customer wanted." Too bad that "the plaintiff made that choice" isn't more of a defense in the legal world.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I don't see anything here about V rated tires being required or recommended:
https://www.customers.volvocars.com/...0_085.htm#pg85

Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Here in VA it fails inspection if not factory spec and if a cop pulls u over can even check it and ticket u if not right I went after market 16s on my grand national and was required 2have v spec radials 2pass

Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator

VA is the capitol of fudge fees.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Ur not kidding