General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

S40 recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 recommendations

hi all..

After a brief reconnaissance on the conditions of the 3 series bimmer market, I find Im more interested in an S40. I can afford models up to and including the 2004 year production, probably not a turbo, I could still be persuaded into a low mileage S70. Presently I own both a Ford and a GM family sized car, size is not a consideration.

Given Volvo has been in some transition (ford), and the years of production for S40 rather long, Im thinking some particular S40 models might be better than others (I note similar things written about S70).

I think I could live with any of the options the S40 came with. My plan is to go for as low km (mileage) example as I can afford, in as late a year as I can find. Id prefer an auto but manual is OK, I need aircon that works (S70 issue?) and a car that is reliable 'looks' clean and up-to date and 'up-market' (as clients see my car almost always) {this probably shouldnt matter in an ideal world, but almost certainly people make decisions partly based on what they assume about character, garnered in part by what car you drive}.

So my question is, are there some particular traps and pitfalls worth avoiding, some years preferred over others, some models better than others. And what particular mechanical details like the timing belt, oils etc etc should I note while shopping for this next car ... ?

thanks in advance...

Last edited by Riley; 04-03-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling/additions etc
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Research the various threads here; lots of background info here.

Personnally I would try to find a low mileage S70 over a S40. IMO I steer clear of volvos in general newer than 98 MY; to me they got more complex and had more reliability issues.

I actually like the BMW 3 series; never owned one but used to work on them years ago. If I owned a bimmer now it would probably be a 3 or a 5 series. Had a 2002 (for non BMW folk, that's a model, not a year) until 1998; loved that car!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdog
Research the various threads here; lots of background info here.
yes but its a learning curve

Personnally I would try to find a low mileage S70 over a S40. IMO I steer clear of volvos in general newer than 98 MY; to me they got more complex and had more reliability issues.
akkk, not entirely the answer I expected, however thats the benefit of the internet. I was thinking that some years into production most of the problems with S40 would have been sorted.

I actually like the BMW 3 series; never owned one but used to work on them years ago. If I owned a bimmer now it would probably be a 3 or a 5 series. Had a 2002 (for non BMW folk, that's a model, not a year) until 1998; loved that car!
I had the brief use of a 2002Ti many years ago

thanks for your time...