General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

school me on wagons before I buy one

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default school me on wagons before I buy one

Never owned a volvo, but looking into getting a wagon soon. I don't know enough yet to decide on which model and years are preferable.

In my current state of Volvo ignorance, I am leaning towards a ~1996 850, mostly because I prefer the exterior aesthetics.

Turbo sounds great, but I have never owned a turbo car and I assume there is a tradeoff for the gains. Do they increase the maintenance costs, reduce drivetrain longevity, double the fuel costs, etc?

I plan on being the only mechanic that works on the car, so if there is a cutoff year when I will need proprietary software interface or whatnot, I would prefer avoid that. I am a mechanic by trade, but not late model cars; just automated industrial machinery and pre-1970 muscle cars and hot rods. I have wrenched on later model cars, but never had to go beyond a generic OBD-II scanner to deal with the computers.

How well can these things be made to corner and brake?
Is the RWD better in those aspects?

Do the all wheel drive versions bring anything to the table, or do they just complicate maintenance costs?

Anyhow, please help me catch up on what the Volvo enthusiasts already know.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Will one of you old hands answer the man, I would like answers too. The Grand Wagoneer is getting long in the tooth.

Max

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Not your expert, but as none one else has answered, I'll share a little. Am a bit of a car nut and have owned way to many over the years. Have a 98 volvo xc awd, and it has more miles than any car i've ever owned, 202k. Still a great ride and no major malfunctions. Like any high mile old vehicle, have replaced a few things. Engine is super strong still and awd drivetrain is doing great. Recommend awd for heavy winters. It is phenomenal in big snows. Had a 98 range rover yrs back, and it is as good if not better than the rover which still surprises me. This last snow was 14 inches, and I'm still getting through on unplowed roads (because of the depth that is about the limit though). If awd goes out, big $$. Some just decouple to 2wd at that point. Handling cornering and braking are good. Very european in that regard. Good road feel/driver response. Don't see any negatives with turbo and personally wouldn't want a "brick" without one. These are heavy cars.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM

I am going to look at four wagons on Sunday, two turbo two NA.
We'll see the differences I suppose.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think overall you will be pretty happy.
As long as they are taken care of they will last a long time.
There is many out there with 200k and over on them. I have one with almost 330k on it.

The AWD also depends on the area you are in. I am in FLA and they do not last all that long down here for some reason. Most here are already converted to 2wd.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by 67chevelleSS496
I am going to look at four wagons on Sunday, two turbo two NA.
We'll see the differences I suppose.
The two turbo cars were used up, not even very suitable as parts cars as everything was wasted. Disappointing.