General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Sell or keep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell or keep?

Hi. New member here. I've got a 91 940T sedan. 238,000 miles on her. I'm emotionally attached to this car, but have been giving serious consideration to selling her, even though book value seems to be less than $1,000.

I'm having trouble doing the math - currently she needs a full service, plus timing belt - I'm thinking it's going to run me well over $500 to service her. Plus, last week, the passenger side mirror fell out and shattered. Who knows how much that silly little mirror will cost me.

I've kept her serviced under the hood like a trooper. I've always used an authorized but private Volvo mechanic/shop. In her 238,000 miles, a whole lot has been replaced - the computer, the turbo, belts, brakes, rotors, radiator, transmission, etc. On the outside, she's ugly. Faded paint, scratches, a couple of minor dents, headliner droopy (been repaired once), seats torn up from 20 years of dogs and kids. But she's kept me safe and happy for pretty much all of those 20 years. When I bought her, my daughter was in a car seat - then she grew up in that car, learned to drive in it, and now carts her own baby daughter in it, along with the husband.

My dilemma? While the car is a tank, I'm concerned about the fact that there are no air bags in the car, save for the driver. Even though she's been maintained well, I worry about her breaking down out on the highway somewhere. Every time I take her in for service it seems like it's one more $300 thing to fix. So, should I trade in all of "that" and buy a new car that has all the latest safety features, better gas mileage and no repair concerns, or should I keep her and pay up?

Can anyone opine/help me think this through so I can come to a decision?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have moved your post from New Members Area.

If you can afford a new car, I would sell it. You have a lot of good memories with your car, but unless you can work on it/restore it by yourself, the car will give you more troubles later on +$$$ for repairs.

I would consider Volvo of course, but shop around for the same price range. If you can afford a brand-new car, 2013 Accords look really sharp. However, the best car for you is not the one someone else recommends; it is the one you like, after test driving it.

I wish you best of luck,

JPN

Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Thank you JPN.

Wise words of wisdom, and ones my head totally agrees with. As does my son-in-law...I guess it's my heart that is having trouble getting on board...

I can afford a new car. Guess I'll start shopping....

Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm with JPN. Find someone to give the Volvo to.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I hated parting with my '88 Accord, which was stolen by an illegal immigrant Serb back in '98. I took care of it so much that people couldn't believe it was a 10-year old car.

I then met with an 850 Turbo; a car I used to borrow from my boss. It was not maintained at all and I pretty much had to restore it. Again, I hated to parting with it.

I am now getting a '04 Honda (Acura) TL and this time I plan to restore, upgrade & keep it until it falls apart.

I wish you find a car you can build a lot of memories with, like your 940T.

Best of luck & Happy Holidays,

JPN

Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Awww, thank you so much for sharing your stories. It warms my heart.

I know that selling her or giving her to someone else is going to crush my heart, but it helps to hear others share.

--sherita