General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Service Ambush scam with V60 Low Oil Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 04:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Service Ambush scam with V60 Low Oil Indicator

My 2015 V60 has only 68K Miles on it . Yesterday the Low oil indicator came on and message said add 1 quart. I looked for a dip stick and this 4 cylinder car only has a sensor. The Sensor does not indicate the oil level, just that it is low.
I called the Local Volvo Dealer in Winter Park and was told that they agree that the sensor was not great but that the correct course of action was to pay for a diagnostic test where they perform an Oil Change and run the car for 1200 miles. I return the car to the dealer so they can measure the volume of the oil and send it to Volvo to see if it is normal limits. I was also told that there was a PCR valve upgrade that may be needed. My estimate for all of this work was to be around $500 and it included an Oil Change.
IF they determined that the oil use was out of limits they would start checking rings, and other engine issues to see what additional repairs could fix the problem.
I received a call from the service tech who said they could not proceed unless I upgraded my EMS Software for an additional $192 . I agreed and they gave me my car back after I paid the first installment of $557 to get my oil level indicator fixed and some software updated.
I was told that to get the results of the test when I return will be another $300. Total Over $800 . I asked the service Tech if I could have put an $8 quart of oil in and the Indicator would go away and he said yes .
That's the Moment that I realized that I had been scammed by Volvo .
Instead of advising me to just add a quart of Oil, I had two techs upsell me on the Oil Use analysis and I took the bait! They wanted me to do the test for more revenue and the opportunity to have a reason to sell more work to me if the results are negative
The Second chapter is if the factory finds the rate of use is out of spec, I will need to check out the Engine Compression, Spark Pugs, etc. to determine the reason and solve it. In my life , an occasional quart of oil will be a more reasonable expense since I do not have an extended warranty on this . There are no safety issues involved.
Summary - I have owned Volvos for many years since 1967 - 544, 122, P1800, 145, 245 and mow this V60 . This will be the last one I own . It Really is a shame they engineered these Service costs into the car. My Wife enjoys the car, and it looks good on her...
My Advice - The Volvo Oil consumption test is a scam designed to increase profits fore the service department form Extended warranty service Policies. Don't buy it, buy a quart of oil, sell the car and buy any other model that has a dipstick.