General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Is there a place to report premature failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a place to report premature failures

My CPO car with 27,000 miles on it was diagnosed with needing a new climate control unit. IMO for a CCU to go bad at such low mileage isn't a good sign of electronic longevity. Should such a fault be noted someplace; is there a place on this site; is there a national registry that keeps track? If this would be a known problem, Volvo America would drag their feet long and hard before doing a recall or extended warranty fix.

We've owned the V60 less than a year and if it were not a CPO the repair cost would have not made me a happy man.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know of a registry that track all issue such as yours, I believe safety issue do make it to NHTSA. All my not be lost though . In fact, your CCU experience has embarked on a rather tortuous journey!
Red this (with lots of coffee).. Manufacturers, despite what you seem to think, are interested in this sort of thing. For instance - Volvo is having to pony up the cash to fix your problem. Covering it up or not dragging their heels does not help them, if they ignore it then they will continue to experience warranty repair costs as long as that part is used, Not to mention damage to the brand which will eventually affect sales/cost.
I think reading the above paper will, if nothinbg else, show that the process now in place is so complex that adding another layer to it would only bog it down more.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recall - Volvo R89978

Recalls.

This is going to be a costly recall. On January 24, 2020 notice is being sent to owners. Parts have not arrived at the dealer yet so this will take time. It took 6 years for this problem to reach the point of recall? I'll make sure to secretly mark my latches. The last time my dealer worked on a recall was on a V50. They tried to take a shortcut but forgot they were dealing with someone who has turned wrenches all their life and I caught them. So I have learned and will mark each latch because "all" latches are to be replaced. Pity the person that doesn't have any knowledge about cars.

During a phone call yesterday, Volvo of America looked up my VIN and said there is only one outstanding recall for my car and it is the latch recall. I am not sure if NHTSA’s database is up to date on this recall? Volvo USA said they haven't even sent the owner instruction letters out yet but will be doing so in January.

Volvo is recalling over 140,000 S60 sedans and V60 wagons.The recalled vehicles are 2011 – 2017 model years. The issue is, their doors may open unexpectedly while the car is in motion.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said doors may suddenly open during sharp turns or on roundabouts even if they appear to be tightly closed. The problem is due to faulty parts within the door latch mechanism that are more likely to fail in extremely hot weather. NHTSA opened the investigation that led to the recall after receiving complaints from owners."
https://wtkr.com/2019/12/18/volvo-re...pectedly-open/

Originally Posted by donf
I don't know of a registry that track all issue such as yours, I believe safety issue do make it to NHTSA. All my not be lost though . In fact, your CCU experience has embarked on a rather tortuous journey!
Red this (with lots of coffee).. Manufacturers, despite what you seem to think, are interested in this sort of thing. For instance - Volvo is having to pony up the cash to fix your problem. Covering it up or not dragging their heels does not help them, if they ignore it then they will continue to experience warranty repair costs as long as that part is used, Not to mention damage to the brand which will eventually affect sales/cost.
I think reading the above paper will, if nothinbg else, show that the process now in place is so complex that adding another layer to it would only bog it down more.

Last edited by urdrwho; 01-17-2020 at 09:25 AM.