General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

v70 - AWD or FWD which is a better buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v70 - AWD or FWD which is a better buy

I've been thing about getting a used Volvo v70 (1st generation) and wondered if I should stay with the regular FWD or go for an AWD model. My thinking was originally to stay away form the AWD, that it cold prove costly with repairs and that they wear through tires more quickly than the FWD making tire replacement and rotation needed more often. Any thoughts on the reliability of the AWD and weather or not tire wear and rotation can be an issue.

(I live in New England so AWD can be attractive but I would like to weigh out the cost because FWD with the winter driving option would be ok too.)

Thanks,
Kathy G

Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often would you NEED AWD? Do you drive in snow a lot or are the roads well enough maintained it's not a huge issue? Have you ever gone off the road on the typical roads you drive?
FWD is pretty good in poor conditions, with the right tyres.
There will always be extra costs with both maintenance and repairs with an AWD car, it's a simple fact with more mechanical components in there, plus AWD will typically have slightly worse mileage.
Personally, I like the concept of AWD, but I'd not buy it unless I absolutely needed it.
So, you have to weigh the pros and cons up based on what you do. Where I live I don't have to worry about snow, but my FWD cars have gotten me through plenty of muddy backroads.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 AM

I've got an S70 FWD and live in northern MA and commute 40 miles into Cambridge. I see 2 snow issues on my roads:

1. When pulling out onto a road from a snowy side street or parking lot, the front wheels can spin a lot while trying to accelerate, leaving one at risk of being clocked by an oncoming car.

2. When the plows aren't keeping up with the snow and there is heavy slush, it can be quite difficult to control the car in a straight line even at 40mph cruise on the interstate (that's really not fun).

The first problem can be helped with AWD, and with using the "W" mode for the transmission in a FWD (which starts you out in 2nd gear).

I don't think AWD would help the 2nd problem much, but I think DSTC (option in later S80s) would.

Good winter tires help everything - I run Nokian WR G2s now.

http://www.nokiantires.com/

Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Default fwd vs awd

Thanks for the great feedback.

I still think I am leaning to the FWD because even thought the winter driving in New Hampshire can be pretty bad I have only slipped off road once or twice in my many years of driving.

I did however have two more questions/concerns.

Is the AWD always engaged or can it be switched on and off like a 4wd and if it is not always engaged would that save me on gas milage and tire replacement if I'm not using it in the summer months?

Second, my concern in winter driving is not the typical slipping when pulling out but more for fishtailing. I wonder b if this could be a problem because the wagon is longer. Anyone know if the FWD is prone to fishtailing when pulling out and stopping.

Thanks again for all the help,
Kathy G

Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM

If by "fishtailing" you mean the rear end sliding out when you get on the gas, that happens with a rear drive vehicle when you overpower the traction.

Wheelbase/overall length aren't much different between the S70 and V70. Basically, in the V70 they run the roofline back to the rear bumper instead of to the rear seat like in the S70.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

No you can not turn off the AWD on those cars. It's 100% on all the time. I do not believe there is any tire wear concern, just better overall traction and a little more weight on the car. Less chance of slipping when trying to drive in snow, rain and real hard.

I have heard that the early AWD Volvo's have high maintenance, some problems. I would have to take in consideration that a Volvo needing high maintenace could mean that it needs the same amount of maintenace as any other car maker, no more. I had the same fear/concerns about owning a turbo charged car. I've always stayed away from them fearing more maintenance & repairs. So I purchased a turbo last year and quickly learned that I have been missing out on a great feature of these cars. So I purchased another turbo car within two months.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in SE Michigan where we get snow that sticks. Have a FWD V70 (06) with Conti DWS ExtremeContact tires on it and they work pretty well. Other vehicles have been 4wd (Honda CRV, Pilot, Mercury Mariner) so I think I can offer this advice. 4wd works much better in one particular circumstance: uphill driving. Going uphill in FWD unloads the front wheels which are the drive wheels. 4wd kicks in when going uphill to shift drive force to rear wheels, too, so the vehicle does better going uphill.

That being said, it applies only when the roads are snow covered or icy. 4wd doesn't brake any better, and it does use more gas. 4wd does provide a more secure feeling when traveling on snow covered expressways, too, but part of that might be mental.

Check the search function here and you'll learn that Volvo 4wd can be expensive to fix if broken. There is something called a bevel gear which needs maintenance, too. I recall some posters telling they'd given up and removed the drive shaft to the rear wheels rather than spend $$$$ getting the system fixed. To Honda's credit, neither the CRV at 180K+ nor the Pilot at 165K+ ever had a 4wd problem. Nor has the Mercury, but its only at 85K+ miles.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have looked into the AWD problems and it seems some of the early years do have issues and I agree that the FWD should be fine. The AWD's have a more expensive sale price, will not get as good gas milage and have higher maintenance cost so FWD it is for me!
Thanks to all,
Kathy G

Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Default AWD or FWD

I'm also looking to buy a Volvo V70 2.5T but don't know if I should go AWD or FWD I live on the south coast of the UK so snow isn't going to be an issue.

Do anyone know if AWD V70 2.5T are more fun to drive as they have some power from the read wheels?

If not I shall stick with FWD

Here is the specs for the V70 2000-2007

http://www.motormotormotor.com/searc..._00-07_UK/2910