General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

volvo 740 N/A full preformance question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question volvo 740 N/A full preformance question

I've been looking and looking so im finally asking the question.
i have a 1991 volvo automatic 740 N/A with 220k miles on the beast i recently purchased. I've nearly got it to stage 0 with only a few things left to do (the car was in horible shape).

I'm looking to make this car preform better in every aspect such as bu not limited to: motor add ons (like headers and camshafts if possible), coil overs and suspension (maybe a 1 inch drop), roll bars and cages (to make an already tank.. more of a tank), exactly what can be done for air flow and fule (bigger spark plugs, exhaust, ext), and any other things you can give me advice on.

my only issue is I CANT FIND ANY PARTS OR ADVICE FOR THIS CAR! most of the time when people talk about the preformance end of volvos im seeing a lot of turbos and 850s yet the 740 rwd is supposed to be the safest most reliable modle out there (the reason why i bought it in the 1st place.)

links to sites that sell parts for my car, can give me a "if you cant find ___ then ___ from ___ car can also be used as a bolt on.", and links to finding the correct threads to find more answers would be MUCH HELP!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You purchased the car because it was dependable and safe, not because it could be modded to a hot rod.

www.iPdUSA.com will have stuff to help improve performance, they use to race them. Also try www.TurboBricks.com or just Google some other Volvo forums. My guess is that you'll likely be looking for a turbo car before long.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 AM

no no im looking to "enhance" if i wanted a turbo then i would of gotten a turbo lol. simply wanted to make something good better but im not looking to race but as more of a safty precausion by being able to manuver out of hard spots better with speed and good handel ability. i did have a mechanic tell me i can use a tranfer case from.. i forget what model to (not exactly) bolt on to make my rwd a awd.. is this true?

btw AWSOME link for the parts. i cant tell you how fed up with only finding "andys parts" in my searches.

Last edited by BllRmBltz; 02-24-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM

I have a NA s70 with a bunch of mods and dont let these turbo guys talk crap about NA cars because its pretty quick! Freed my air flow completely with a custom air intake made from about $80 bucks of odds and ends from autozone. Stainless high flow race headers from speeddaddy.com and no crap you wouldnt believe it cause its nice and well crafted and really sounds deep but only cost $140. I got a full custom exhaust with a almost straight pipe bumped up to 2 1/2 inches diameter, high flo short can catalytic convertor and high flow large cannister style muffler for 385 from a local shop by me. NGK high performance irridium plugs for great ignition and the best investment I made was on an ecu tune from OE tuning in huntington beach ca. I just got my ecu back a few days ago and it is amazing how quick this car has gotten. My mechanic retired after 25 years at the volvo dealership says its faster than a glt and revs high with zero turbo lag! So please dont let these turbo guys discourage you. Some turbo guy on here the other day told me to sell my NA and buy a turbo. He said NA s are slow unless you pump 1000s into them. Thats a load of crap I have more money in my rims than I do into the rest of my performance mods. Ecu tune was only 500 and they made a tune to compliment my mods and for real its amazing! I love the way this thing moves now and I never have to worry about a turbo going out cause that can be super exspensive. Plus my s70 only has 75,000 miles and makes an amazing daily driver!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Benny76
I have a NA s70 with a bunch of mods and dont let these turbo guys talk crap about NA cars because its pretty quick! Freed my air flow completely with a custom air intake made from about $80 bucks of odds and ends from autozone. Stainless high flow race headers from speeddaddy.com and no crap you wouldnt believe it cause its nice and well crafted and really sounds deep but only cost $140. I got a full custom exhaust with a almost straight pipe bumped up to 2 1/2 inches diameter, high flo short can catalytic convertor and high flow large cannister style muffler for 385 from a local shop by me. NGK high performance irridium plugs for great ignition and the best investment I made was on an ecu tune from OE tuning in huntington beach ca. I just got my ecu back a few days ago and it is amazing how quick this car has gotten. My mechanic retired after 25 years at the volvo dealership says its faster than a glt and revs high with zero turbo lag! So please dont let these turbo guys discourage you. Some turbo guy on here the other day told me to sell my NA and buy a turbo. He said NA s are slow unless you pump 1000s into them. Thats a load of crap I have more money in my rims than I do into the rest of my performance mods. Ecu tune was only 500 and they made a tune to compliment my mods and for real its amazing! I love the way this thing moves now and I never have to worry about a turbo going out cause that can be super exspensive. Plus my s70 only has 75,000 miles and makes an amazing daily driver!
Dude you've said exactly everything I've wanted to hear lol. Can you email me about this I'm never on this site anymore after being told about turbobricks.com bllrmbltz@gmail.com

no one understands an n/a car they just wanna slap on a turbo and call it a day.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Couldn't have said it better. How much more peformance gain did you get with the header exhuast and tune?