General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo Is the question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Volvo Is the question

I know everyone has different reasons on why they bought a volvo, own a volvo or work on volvo's. Now I am wondering to who that wants to contribute what brought you here? I'll get started with my next reply with my little story and history and hope you will share yours.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM

After moving to Maine to be with my parents I started noticing that cars rust pretty bad in this area, at the time we moved here my son just took over my 98 chevy Tahoe with 98k. We had a 04 Saturn l300 v6 60k. The Tahoe needed another transmission after the haul from NC to here. Lucky we even made it because it died shortly after getting up here. So then we had to lend our son our saturn so that he could commute to work. It was a dark and stormy night and well he didn't make it home. He had an accident on the way home and totaled the car. So that forced us to not just look at cars now ...we needed to buy one. Every damn car we looked into was upsetting, to keep in our budget we could not buy a brand new car so we had to buy used. Now living in maine where we get snow, rough road, and extreme cold it was time to get an awd or 4 wheel drive. Being a certified GM mechanic it was hard not to lean to what I know best, however after being here a short time and seeing newer then mine (GM's) completely rusted out I was not going to be loyal to a rust bucket. I wanted a vehicle that would not waste my time and money on as I have always kept my cars in tip top mechanical condition. Looking over at the 98 tahoe that I was planning on putting another transmission in I started to have second thoughts. Not only was it a gas hog but it was going to rust out on me for sure if I started driving it on these salty roads. So my wife and I started to look at other cars. We wanted to down size to something that gets a little better fuel economy but did not want to lose all our cargo room, we figured a nice wagon or maybe even a smaller suv with awd or 4wd would better suite our needs. As we went around and looked at subaru's we saw 07+ models that were pretty nice but rusting under the paint but noticed that even the older volvos like the 97 S70's were holding up pretty well. So this brought my attention to volvo's. We sat in several types of cars and suvs to witch none of them impressed my wife and well being a mechanic none of them impressed me. I refused to get a biodegradable car. I have known for years about Volvo's safety record but didn't know that they held up so well in harsh conditions like maine has because I never lived up north, after learning this and explaining this to my wife I found her being partial to buying a volvo. Thats when we started to seek out an xc70, this car just seemed right. It had almost as much room as the tahoe had (a little smaller) but far exceeded it in fuel economy had awd as opposed to 4wd that makes it very user friendly for the wife. As I researched a little more I also started to find that with proper maintenance these cars can last a long time. Now finally we agreed on a car we both liked and went and got our 1st volvo ! Yep you guessed it 2003 XC70. We got volvo fever right away, the way this car drives and handles vs cars and trucks from the past , we actually were able to squeeze 30 mpg out of this big beast on the highway. It was/is just a pure pleasure to drive. Well our volvo fever started rubbing of on the rest of my family , my dad was the first victim he currently had a 95 chevy blazer that was turning into a rust bucket, he had dumped a lot of money keeping it in good mechanical shape but it was falling apart at the seams. Gosh forbid if you had to crawl under it to do anything the rust was falling in your face and was not fun at all to work on. It needed a bit of work and money to do a few repairs and we opted to just get rid of it and get him into a volvo I was not going to put my time and money into a bucket of rust. Well his budget was a little smaller then ours so we looked into cars that had a few more years. This is when I realized that these cars are under estimated on KBB or Edmunds. We found a nice 98 V70 with about 130k that just looked and drove super it was an easy decision for him he has a 95 bucket of rust vs this nice looking v70. He dove it, used it in the snow , took it down the back woods of maine picking blueberrys and got the fever. He has since told me that this has been the nicest car he has ever owned. The way it drives the functions and what its capable of was just perfect for him. My youngest son got a surprise after buying two volvo and now devoting my attention to learning everything volvo I bought him and 2002 awd S60 the kids did not want some stinking wagon or boxy car but had everything to offer that we had with just a little less room and a much sportier look. My oldest son who opted to start working instead of college was on his own when it came to buying a car, I did warn him that I was no longer going to keep a set of metric and standard tools around and that I was not going to work on rust. I also told him that I was planning on getting some specialty tools for volvos so it may suite him best if he gets a volvo. He didn't want a volvo to him his image is that it was an "old persons car" and he did not want an S60 because now that would be like copying his brother...( ok what ever) ...He started to look at cars and well it was his money and his choice. This is the son that totaled our saturn he had an experience that could have been much worse if his car was just an inch to the left or the right as he went of the road and ping ponged in between two trees. He also had to deal with 3 others in the family gloating over their cars. Plus now everything he has learned by us has stuck in his head. Yep you guessed it again he wants a Volvo as he looks into them he sees some really cool s60's out there and some decked out s70's as well...he is now partial to getting a volvo and making it cool. Thats when we found the 01 S60...man this one is pretty black interior with a white body it looks like its going fast just sitting there. His budget being even less then ours he finds one with gobs of issues. ETM jumping, PCV was clogged, engine light and service light were on it was in need of diar help ...but guess what ...haha NO RUST !!!! We did all the work needed and quite a few IPD upgrades and he now has a car that he is proud top own. If I had the 04 saturn we use to have with 60k in mint condition right now he would not trade back ....matter of fact he has the fever to! Now in case your wondering how the 240 came about well thats mine back in mechanic school I have always wanted one I drove a 240 back in the day when it was brand new and always left a good impression, but what really got be was the styling of this car it looks older then it really is but has that euro look that I just love. But unfortunately for me finding one with out a lot of rust on my budget was not going to happen so I bit the bullet here and said I am going to do it anyway. Its my time my mechanic skills and going to be my car. Plus I can get one at a steal of a deal and just put my money into via all new parts....still have a lot to do to make it new again but I got the car I want. There you have it all five Volvos listed in my title with a lil bio to boot. Sorry the story turned out to be so damn long I guess I had more to say then what I thought.

So what brought you to volvo please share your experience and do you have the fever?

The following users liked this post:
iamlogansgma@gmail.com (09-18-2023)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the factors you mentioned played a part in my ending up with a Volvo. In addition, new car buyers that opt for Volvo are generally fairly conservative and not particularly mechanically inclined, but well off enough to afford dealer maintenance which means they usually get pretty good care from the original owner. And in the cases where the car is leased by the original owner and turned in at 3 years or so, the 2nd owner usually takes very good care of the car as well. It also helps that the "tuner" crowd is not particularly interested in them, so the market is not polluted with junk that has been hacked by 20 somethings. Yes, there are a few specialty tools involved and some quirks, but what cars don't have these issues with all the technology that is involved anymore? With a solid drivetrain and body the rest is just stuff that wears out on any car after 150K+ miles and keeping one going for 300K or more is way less expensive than buying a new car every 100K.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you've probably heard someone say "---if you understand, no explanation is needed - if you don't understand, no explanation is possible." Volvo's - like Harley's, Airstream Trailers, Saabs, and similar objects of our affections - defy logic for anyone not smitten. They can be expensive, have annoying quirks, and, from time to time, they can be almost impossible to love. That said, our XC 70 is the latest member of the group! We wanted a safe and comfortable touring vehicle, one with reasonably good performance characteristics, and one that could stand up to Maine winters. New Volvos were simply too costly, so we searched and found a used 2004 with a pristine body and interior - and a low enough price to justify a substantial rehabilitation investment. Most of what was needed was delayed maintenance items, but with only 93,000 miles on the odometer, and a new set of winter tires to boot, we bought it. Subsequently, we placed the car in the hands of a top notch independent Volvo specialty shop and pretty much green-lighted everything that needed attention. This included early replacement of the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump, all worn steering and suspension items (---struts not needed), four-wheel alignment, new brakes, drain and flush tranny, oil change, new brake fluid, drain and flush coolant, new filters - including cabin air filter, new window controller for driver side door, new battery-powered alarm/siren module, replace front bumper support bracket on drivers side, rotate tires, license plate light, tailpipe bracket, new Bosch battery, new plugs, new upper engine mount rubber insert, Maine state inspection sticker, and a host of other minor lubrication/service procedures. The cost mounted - but three days later we picked up what, as far as we were concerned, was a Volvo that was as good as new! Our total investment was about $12,500. Subsequent trips have convinced me that the money was well-spent as the car is a pure joy to drive. I'm looking forward to replacing the Hankook winter tires with either Michelin Defenders or Yokohama Avids when, or "if," Spring ever gets here!

The following users liked this post:
iamlogansgma@gmail.com (09-18-2023)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 AM

Good read fella's !! I have also noticed that the resale value on these makes getting one easy, but yet with the quality that volvo put into them makes these great second hand cars for someone who knows how to wrench. I think Cracker is one of the fewer that didn't get the mechanical advantage but still loves volvo for all the right reasons....BTW Cracker I would go with the Michelin. You may also want to get yourself a set of spare rims to make it easier switching tires. Used rims can be pretty affordable!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Default Shade Tree Mechanic

There comes a time when you have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and hang up your tools. For me, that time came with retirement and acquiring a '91 Saab Classic convertible. My days of working on a Model A Ford engine hanging from the limb of an oak tree were over! I decided that I would simply have to look for damn good independent mechanics and pay accordingly. Subsequently, I spend more on maintenance than the guy who does his own wrenching - but I don't love or appreciate the cars any less. The Saab was a blast to drive but the net maintenance cost was getting out of hand due to the parts cost. That, and the lack of knowledgeable mechanics for older Saabs. It had to go!

I've definitely considered getting an extra set of rims for the Volvo but, during future Maine winters we'll probably either hibernate, using the '93 Subaru for essential local travel - or get the hell out of Dodge completely, using the Volvo as an escape vehicle to head south! This just-past winter has reinforced that idea, so the winter tires may become surplus to my needs. I appreciate the endorsement of the Michelins. They seem to provide the best solution - all factors considered.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 AM

I hear you there! As much as I love to work on cars at times it would be great just to throw some money at my problems and have someone else make them go away. You can set your tools down but your nickle knowledge will always be there. Heck take my tools away and my love for cars will always be a part of me. I have another love for organic gardening but I'll be honest it just would not be as good if I were just to buy organic vegetables as opposed to growing them. haha and this is where I start on my winter rant.....naaaa it won't make it any better...winters just suck here in Maine.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Having just parted with an Airstream trailer (---but not the GMC 3500) I've got to admit I did pay attention to the tow capacity of the Volvo XC 70. I thought it might come in handy for towing a little 14' electric-powered skiff I'm working on - but, at the same time, I thought that I was over any interest in towing another travel trailer. For sure I'm not interested in anything like the Airstream - but I'm not so sure about something a lot smaller. I've been looking at teardrop type trailers like the T&B - a real "minimalist," and the thought of a good campfire, followed by a warm dry bed, is still appealing. The T&B is well within the tow capacity of the XC 70 so I'll probably keep my eyes open for a good used one during our summer travels. The Volvo already has a factory receiver and electric plug for a trailer, so all I need to do is tuck a hitch and ball away under the floor.

With respect to my earlier tire dilemma, I'm getting a set of Michelin Defenders mounted and balanced with a road force balancer this Friday. The Hankook winter tires still have over 7/32 of tread left but I don't plan on reinstalling them next winter unless a good set of used rims jump out at me.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Better take a look and see if its the 7 pin round you won't find many things or well anything here in the states that connect to it. On a good note, the xc70 tows well shhh don't tell anyone but I have exceeded the tow capacity with this car from Rumford area of Maine to the southern part of the island of NY. It was a good sale for me so I had to push her limits a bit. Oh btw if you do find you have a 7 pin round euro connector let me know and I'll show you what I did to get around that. I can now hook to several different connections.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM

I had to go look and, surprise - it's the standard flat 4-pin! That should be all I'll ever need - with the possible exception of a charging wire for the trailer house battery. A lot of these little trailers have either surge brakes or nothing at all - like most light boat trailers. Volvo recommends brakes for anything over 1,650 lbs and gives a max towing capacity of 3,300 lbs for the XC 70. My personal rule of thumb (---shared by many others---) would suggest 80% of the 3,300 lbs, or 2,650 lbs - which aligns with Volvo's proposed increase in tongue weight to 165 lbs, however, if that's the maximum tongue weight, it would further suggest a maximum towing capacity of 165/0.10, or back to the 1,650 lb figure. (i.e. - 10% of trailer weight should be on the tongue.) I think that's a good figure to shoot for and surge brakes would just be icing on the cake! As for Volvo's suggested 50 mph towing speed, it could get you killed on the Interstates - but it works for me on the back roads I prefer.

Last edited by Cracker39; 03-26-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Clarify a sentence
Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 PM

Wow you really got this down ...I go by the if I can lift the tongue method I'll hook it up. If it lifts light I'll add a few things to the front. But yet I use a trailer often and don't have time to figure out my weight. woohoo dinners ready ...I am gonna cut this one short.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM

I was hoping to get a few more storys out of this thread, but its starting to turn into a Cracker/John pen pal chat ....oh well its my off topic thread anyway and its been fun!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 AM

I agree - see you elsewhere!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Arsenault
I was hoping to get a few more storys out of this thread, but its starting to turn into a Cracker/John pen pal chat ....oh well its my off topic thread anyway and its been fun!

Hey give it a chance; I just saw this..

My story: I love wagons, now. There it's out there. I actually used to be a BMW guy (ex-tech); owned a 1976 2002; not much pwr but very tossable and fun to drive w/few mods. But when we moved from the Midwest (MI) to PacNw I knew I couldn't get it smog-legal again so sold it before moving.

When we got here all I needed was a DD but with utility to haul stuff for weekend DIY house projects. So somehow I ended up with a beater celebrity wagon. Hey don't laugh! I was getting older and figured my affliction w/fun-to-drive cars was over.

But after a couple of years my son borrowed it and totaled it (sound familiar?) in a fender bender accident; some teenage girl plowed into him in a parking lot; no injuries thank goodness.

So I needed another wagon; just a replacement for my beater DD, right? Now at this point my wife chimes in that I should look at a Volvo wagon (she also always liked them). I scoffed (my ex-bmw ego talking) but finally gave in. Looked at 95 855 N/A wagon with over 130k on clock (this was over ten years ago now..). Interior was actually in pretty good shape, the engine sounded like a sewing machine and honestly the pwr surprised me.

Well that's where it started, with that beater. Being an ex-tech, I couldn't get over how easy the car was to work on! I mean seriously, when was the last time you R&R'd a heater core in less than 2 hrs? The car was actually designed to be maintained; what a concept! Threw some bilstein shocks and ipd sway bars on there and my affection grew..

Then the Mrs. got envious of seeing the smile on my face everytime I got out of my 855. After almost a two year search we got her a super clean '98 S70 GLT with a bit over 50K on the clock. That's where my turbo bug bit and now I was envious.

For over two years I continued my search for 855T replacement for the 855 N/A that was getting tired, burning oil and approaching 200K mls. Last fall I finally found it... did a few mild mods (sig) and I just smile every time I drive it. Plus it gives an ex-tech something to fiddle with..

So why wagons? It is amazing what you can fit into an 855; it really is! And talk about the ultimate sleeper! Frankly the wagons look better to me too, over the sedans. I know folks will disagree here, but the back end of the sedan is kinda awkward looking, where the wagon shape just flows naturally, at least to my eye.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM

I agree with you about wagons 110%. I have always loved wagons as a kid. When I was just a kid 16-17 years old I had a green and white 1968 Rambler wagon that I just loved. I knew as a kid I had a wagon illness as I was the only one who thought that they were cool. I thing the same thing happened to your Mrs. that happened to mine. How could our appreciation not rub off when we constantly boast about how great a wagon is over a sedan. I have been telling my wife for years that one day I want to build a custom wagon just for me but have always had to put that idea aside, just to busy with work and raising kids and well having more important things as well. I would day dream about wagons, tear pages out of hot rod magazines with wagons on them and hang them in my bed room. Driving down the road I would point out every cool wagon. I would gaze at beat up wagons and say you know that could be a really cool car. I am not sure back then she really understood my love for wagons until we got her in the XC70 and she fell in love with it. The XC70 was such an amazing car for us to have up here in Maine and hands down the best car we every owned. We have brought this thing into places that not many wagons could go. With 4 kayaks on top, a load of food, fishing gear and our two boys in the back it can do it all. The XC70 was also the glitter in our eyes to start our family volvo trend the more and more I learned about volvos the more I loved them. At first it was just a practical car to own, now its a sickness. I now understand the term "volvo for life".

Here is her wagon at work

We had 2 easy up tents and all these carvings in one wagon and one 6 X 12 trailer. Not just this time but many times. I am thinking that we should convert this car to a nivomat suspension though a few times we have felt the bottom when loaded down on bumpy roads, but yet maybe just the 2 inch lift with stiffer springs may do the trick. From one wagon lover to another ...I am with you!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cracker39
I agree - see you elsewhere!

Oh no I was implying more to ...lets just talk about what ever it is we want to ...

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up as a car guy. I loved race cars and fast cars. Volvos were interesting because they held up in endurance sports car races and IPD and others made some interesting cars that got some attention. They weren't as sleek as other European cars but they were kind of sleepers. I like sleepers. It is always neat to surprise someone.

Once I could drive, my car choices turned to other cars. Primarily cars that I could afford. I had a bunch of Fords. One was an '85 LTD midsize that got all of it's mechanical parts and it's dashboard from a '90 Mustang GT. This car was a blast. Nobody suspected this was fast. I could have made a bunch of money street racing. That is not my thing though. I went to a club event at New Hampshire International Speedway with it. There were lots of interesting cars. The Volvo's that were there always did well.

Some were total race cars, while others had stock Volvos. When we had a red flag on the track everyone on the track had to pull over and stop their cars. I had a Mustang at the time. My coolant was boiling after flogging the car. The guys with the stock Volvo's would turn on the air conditioning while waiting. NHIS is tough on brakes. Major problem with the Mustang. Volvo's, no problem.

Volvo caught my attention again. But now I was married with a daughter. 240 were relatively cheap. Probably because they had been made for 23 years and seemed to have an old body style. So, I got a sedan for my wife. It turned out to be comfortable, roomy, with a nice seating position. Most cars at the time had the driver sitting lower. And of course it was reliable. I kept my eyes out for a 240 wagon with a 5 speed.

I found a good beater with 150k miles. Put a little work into that the previous owner didn't want to do and now have 365k on it.

The problem now is that it has been laid up from an accident. I am driving the sedan while I hope to get the wagon back together and looking better than it has in decades. I will try to post picture of progress in the future.

I will admit that although I am a 240 guy, the 850s and V70 have me tempted. If only I could find a nice one with a 5 speed and within my budget. Or perhaps, I could find a nice automatic and get a manual gearbox to install later.

Automaker have been dropping wagons. One more reason to like Volvos.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 AM

What brought me to this forum is that my 2004 Volvo V70 is the car I always wanted and turned out to be the WORST car I have ever bought. At 100K miles needed a new engine, and prior to that new suspension, major electrical work…we joke all the time about the "ghost in the machine"…and headlight bulbs have been changed at least 24 times…and the final straw is my friends 2005 V70, bought back in the day on my rec…just died in need of a new transmission at 80K miles….she had to sell it for parts for $1,500. I always dreamed of having a Volvo…not anymore…need to sell asap…anyone want it? It has a new engine??? Can't believe it, but my Land Rover was way more reliable!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by MillieSue
Can't believe it, but my Land Rover was way more reliable!
Nothing wrong with Land Rover. I bought mine 4 years ago. Supposedly it needed an engine. I rebuilt it and have only replaced a water pump and power steering pump.

I bought a Volvo S40 because I found one at too good a deal to pass up. Drove it for a year then sold it. Now I have an S80. Bought it with a blown head gasket. Previous owner didn't tell me about the suspension issues or the bad axle, so I have put a few $$$ into it. Now it's a keeper. Thought about selling it but this 15 year old car runs and drives like a late model sedan. I know the S80 has a bad track record, but the good part is there's always one coming into pull-a-part so I just go get spare parts. Now I'm looking for a C70 convertible with a blown head gasket as my next project.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Default Why do some Volvos go bad!

It's almost like talking about people - i.e. - "Why did he/she go bad?" In either case, there's probably no single reason that can explain it. With respect to a particular car - any car - we can propose that it was lack of maintenance, poor driving habits, environmental factors, or, the old cliche that puts the blame on cars that were built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon! There may be another reason that bears equal credibility. I know that, with specific reference to Volvos, Saabs, and other many other foreign vehicles, the downward spiral often starts with an original owner, or a new owner, who becomes alarmed with the high cost of imported parts and the labor charges for well-educated mechanics. From that point on neglect becomes the norm and the car begins a rapid downward spiral. I alluded to these problems when I earlier mentioned a Saab I had owned. All too often, with Saabs in particular, and especially the convertible model, their somewhat sexy appearance appealed to younger buyers looking for a "cheap" used car. Quite commonly the car was already well into the downward spiral and, without substantial financial assistance to bring it back, along with a good shade tree mechanic, it quickly became junk. This perpetuated the thought that all cars bearing the Saab brand were junk. It's certainly true that most foreign cars are more expensive to maintain - and you probably wouldn't get any argument even from the owners of Rolls, Bentley, Lamborgini, and similar high-end vehicles. The reward for spending the bigger bucks to take care of these vehicles is the sheer enjoyment of driving them - and the appeal they have simply sitting in the driveway. That's why I said earlier that, if you have to ask, no explanation is possible.

Quick Reply: Volvo Is the question