General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Towing

Hello,

I have a feeling that my topic of discussion is going to open a can of worms, as there are multiple topics on towing and tow vehicles. I apologize in advance, as I only came here, seeking knowledge.

I have been looking for a Volvo SUV. My only requirement is that it must be able to tow my single axle 6x10 utility trailer that has a weight capacity of 3,000lbs.

Most of the Volvo XC60’s that I have been looking at say they will tow 3500lbs.

Here is where the confusion comes in, and will ask questions.

Does the Volvo XC60 tow 3500lbs from factory, provided you have a class III/IV hitch?

Does the Volvo require towing package?

Will the trailer require trailer brakes and a trailer brake controller in the vehicle?

Will I need to go to Volvo to have them install hitch, tow package if needed?

Sorry for the questions. I am all about safety and towing safely. Sure, my vehicle may be able to pull any trailer and get it rolling, but can it stop the trailer safely, without harm to the vehicle, passengers, and other people on the road?

I want to be as safe as possible, even if it means going out to add a towing package, trailer brake controller, and trailer brakes to my trailer.

Sorry for the long post. Wanted to make sure I had all my research done before purchasing a XC60, then find out it won’t tow 3500lbs unless I buy extra accessories. I don’t mind purchasing the extra stuff, just want to know ahead of time, so I can plan for the expense and around how much will it be?

Thanks,

Old 10-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Volvo quotes a towing capacity and max tongue weight in the owners manual. You didn't mention the years but I did a spot check on a 2010 and its rated for 3300 lbs for a trailer with brakes and 165 lbs tongue weight.

You may want to ask the dealer about what's included in a "towing package". Generally there are four or five things : Trailer hitch, trailer wiring harness, larger capacity transmission cooler, larger capacity radiator or oil cooler, upgraded brake package. Some cars (like my Highlander) allowed me to purchase the towing package with the radiator/transmission cooler upgrade as a factory config with the hitch and wiring harness as dealer or aftermarket installed mods.

A lot of what to do depends on how you plan to tow. Short drives in the flat lands are way less taxing than a long drive in the mountains.

They also provide a few general tips and limitations:

1) Use a proper trailer hitch that attaches to the frame at factory mount points. Use a 2" ball to get max capacity
2) Use a proper wiring harness connected to factory recommended connection points. I used e-trailer.com for my Highlander and they have model specific harnesses and great online content for research and instructions. Plan B is a dealer kit. Newer models with retracking hitches look to be dealer ownly.
3) refer to the oil weight recommended for towing per the owner manual. Usually this means full synthetic.
4) See the owners manual for max speed recommended when towing a trailer (its not fast ~ ie 50 mph for handling/braking safety)
5) If you see a coolant or transmission temp warning light, take appropriate steps to safely slow down and stop to allow the car to cool.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:12 PM

We have narrowed our search down to a 2016 XC60 or a 2016 V60. I couldn’t get in touch with my dealer’s service department, but I sent my service advisor an email. Everything I have read online has either mentioned towing package and trailer brakes. I don’t think either vehicle will have a problem towing the trailer. The only thing I will have to do to the trailer is add trailer brakes to it.

What are your thoughts on the XC60 versus the V60?

Old 10-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

really depends on what you are towing. Say its a boat or camper - well you know your gonna pretty much see a heavy weight all the time so adding trailer brakes would be a smart thing to do. Its not about towing, its about stability in handling and braking. You'll be surprised how much a 3000 lb trailer can push a car around. As to the XC vs V, it really comes down to the springs. Heavy duty springs really help. I'd probably lean toward the XC as I suspect it has heavier springs.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:58 AM

You may have this already sorted by now, but most states require you to have trailer brakes if what you are towing exceeds 3000lb (or even if the trailer is rated to over 3000lb). If the trailer has surge brakes, like some boat trailers have, you should be good, just hitch up and go. If it has electric / hydraulic brakes then you will also need a trailer brake controller and a 7 pin connector.

You can also have an aftermarket hitch installed if you don't want the Volvo hitch or if that option is more expensive.
Etrailer.com has several options and you can install yourself, but it looks like the difficulty rating for the XC60 is fairly high. You could also order from them and have your local mechanic install it.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

+1 on Etrailer as a good resource for reading up on model specific installation. I used them for a hitch/harness for our Highlander and the install couldn't have been easier (took me half the quoted time) but then again, that could be because its a Toyota :-)

Old 10-25-2021, 10:59 AM

We ended up purchasing a 2017 XC60 T6 AWD. I’ve used etrailer before. I plan on purchasing a hitch and 7-way plug and adding trailer brakes to my trailer. Volvo’s site says the vehicle can pull around 1500lbs unbraked. I will mainly be using the trailer to haul a cpl sheets of plywood or some lumber, which should be less somewhere between 800 and 1000lbs.

Granted that I may not need trailer brakes, I would like to have them just incase I do need to haul over 1500lbs.

I’ve been reading about the Curt Echo brake controller, which is bluetooth enabled. We’ve been thinking about going with that, as it doesn’t require a hole to be cut into the dash for the ****.

Has anyone heard anything bad or good about that brake controller?

My next project will be to add the hitch and the 7-way plug. Etrailer doesn’t offer a straight 7-way plug, so I will have to buy the vehicle specific 4-pin wiring kit, then buy the 7-way adapter to plug into the 4-pin and run a 30A power wire from either battery, fuse panel, or some other wiring harness at rear of vehicle.

If anyone knows the best way to run 30A power wire, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.