General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Why did my stereo stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my stereo stop working?

Ok one day I was driving to work in my 2007 S40 and I have volume up on the stereo then the speakers stopped working. The stereo worked fine but I wasnt getting any sound from the speakers. So I get to work and sit down in my office, thinking about my speakers not working, I went back out to my car to find out the problem. When I got in the car the speakers worked fine again. I have the dyno audio speakers and i thought they were the best. Now Im wondering since I had my volume up did they stop working because it was too high. I also would like to add that with my stereo I cant play it at maximum volume because it seems like the speakers will blow. I find that interesting because the stereo and speakers are factory and it seems why would Volvo put such power in a stereo when the speakers cant even handle it. Does anyone know why my speakers stopped working for like a hour, and then when I turn the car off and come back 20 mins later, they are working fine again? Do I have to worry about this happening again? Oh by the way I have the premium audio system from Dyno audio with the 6 disc cd changer. Thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can think of (besides a short in your speaker wiring) is that the internal amplifier in the head unit has a thermal protection circuit that will shut the output off when the amp gets too hot. I've not heard of a factory head unit having a "feature" like this, but I know that many higher quality (and even some lesser quality) after-market amps have this function.