Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

oh why oh why does my volvo die

Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Default oh why oh why does my volvo die

Hi ya'll out there in volvo land!
I seem to have a volvo with a mystery issue. Thought maybe you could help.
Its a '02 xc70 with 70k. At about 65k it starter to shudder, then to jump(forward at a light or in traffic) and die. After numerous trips to the dealer and shop no one could find anything wrong. They always said it drove great for them and never showed a code. Finally one suggested the ETM or ETS may be the problem but he couldn't be sure. I have researched a lot and I am pretty sure thats what my issue is. Sometimes it drives fine then at random "poof", no gas in the pedal or it starts jumpin' like too much gas while stopped.
No one has ever heard of them going out on my model on the net or elsewhere. The dealer still claims there's nothing wrong with it that they can tell, drives great. I've had all the usual stuff checked still no one can tell me why oh why does my volvo die.
Do you think Im on the right track?
How can I figure it out for sure before it goes out while I'm on the hwy and then it shows a *!#? code? well, aside from taking it apart myself or leaving it at the dealership for weeks till it "does it"?
If its a etm my car is not covered under any of the etm/ets recent warranty stuff. Do you think I have a chance of gettin' volvo to pay for it?
oh why oh why does my volvo die
Thanks , peace&love

Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Default RE: oh why oh why does my volvo die

welcome

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome

First this sounds like the ETM issue.
You should be covered under the 10 Year 200,000 miles warranty as long as you are in the U.S.
But you will have to have codes in the system for them to replace it.

Second I moved this to the proper section.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 AM
nuf

ihave the same problem... were u able to fix it.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

With the erratic gas pedal description, it sure sounds like the ETM to me as well