Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

BOV, boost & air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV, boost & air intake question

by adding a cold air intake on my S602.5T allow me to hear the bov and would adding one void my warrenty also would any one happen to know if were i can find the blow off valve on my car and also does any one know if it is plastic or metal and how much boost does a stock volvo have.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: BOV, boost & air intake question

1. You do not have a BOV on your car stock. Volvo has what is called a CBV. Kind of like a BOV but isn't.

2. If you add a CAI to your car, you will hear the turbo more yes.

3. There are not real Volvo specific applications for BOV's. Just get a universial one like an HKS SSQV.

4. I do not know if it will void your warranty or not.

5. I don't know exactly how much boost your making stock, but I would say between 5-10 PSI.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: thakid

by adding a cold air intake on my S602.5T allow me to hear the bov and would adding one void my warrenty also would any one happen to know if were i can find the blow off valve on my car and also does any one know if it is plastic or metal and how much boost does a stock volvo have.
First understand it will depend on your dealership. Any modification to the engine and or any factory compnent can void your waranty. Yes you will hear the engine growl and the turbo spool more so if you put in a intake. Also understand that 9 times out of 10 a "cold air intake" will do nothing for you and can cause a check engine light. Atleast it did in my old 850 turbo.

No matter how cold the air coming into the turbo is. It will always leave the turbo the same temp. Just drop in a Kand N filter, thesse seem to yield good results.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM

2.5T lite pressure turbo Volvo engine is making 7 pounds of boost max.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 PM

No matter how cold the air coming into the turbo is. It will always leave the turbo the same temp. Just drop in a Kand N filter, thesse seem to yield good results.

Will the filter do ne thing really. are there any power gains at all. will anything "get louder"weither it be the spool of the turbo or the bov??

thanks
-aaron

Old 12-07-2006, 01:18 AM

A cone filter wont add much horsepower if any. You will hear the turbo spool though.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 AM

but im saying if i use the same stock airbox jus change it to a high flow air filter will ne thing change, power? sound?

Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 AM

ORIGINAL: ABissey

but im saying if i use the same stock airbox jus change it to a high flow air filter will ne thing change, power? sound?
If you change to like a K&N panel filter in the stock box, you might get more throttle response and maybe 1-2 Hp gains if that. No sound difference since the airbox is still closed tight.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:27 AM

take off your hood insulation and get a CAI if you want more noise, the spooling of the turbo as well as the pshh of your Compressor Bypass Valve is much more audible. And a CAI really does nothing for the car, I almost want to say it's the placebo affect when you install one, expecting a change when really there isn't. Throttle response did seem to increase a bit though.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 AM

So is there really no cool air intake out there for the Volvo that will make a reasonable impact? It just seems like there are 1 MIL different after mods for Hondas, Nissans, etc......but apparently only like 5 for the Volvo.......

Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: WhooFleuryScores

So is there really no cool air intake out there for the Volvo that will make a reasonable impact? It just seems like there are 1 MIL different after mods for Hondas, Nissans, etc......but apparently only like 5 for the Volvo.......
That is right. The stock intake is the best setup.

Yes there is tons of things for Hondas etc... However Volvo's haven't been reaserched enough by the aftermarket communit to really get items massed produced. That is another reason why Volvo aftermarket items are so exspensive.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:05 PM

2 months later, I know....but I'm bored

It's important to note also that for there to be any real gains from an after market intake you need to address the throttle body, adjust the valve lift, maybe get a higher cam, do a little valve cover grinding, port and polish your exhaut header, and install some kind of Cat. back exhaust system. To do this on an engine that already has a turbo? I'm not sure you'd be improving matters at all. I would think messing around with the header alone would cause some kind of problem with your turbo. BUT, on an N/A engine and with all that modding a WAI or CAI could potentially give you another 10-12 HP......or rather, with all that modifacation and no aftermarket intake you'd loose 10-12 HP of your potential....

...they do sound cooler though....I threw a WAI on my Cavalier and it sounds fast

Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 AM

volvos dont have headers on their cars...and dont know bout your car but the stock s40 1.9t spikes at 9lbs of boost

Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 AM

how do you figure volvos don't have exhaust heads? Maybe not in the aftermarket but in the true sence of the phrase every internal combustion engine has an exhaust head of some form.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 AM

https://volvoforums.com/m_42213/tm.htm

read it, im not talking out my *ss, you want to talk technical.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: cbevis

how do you figure volvos don't have exhaust heads? Maybe not in the aftermarket but in the true sence of the phrase every internal combustion engine has an exhaust head of some form.
He is right Volvo's don't have HEADERS. We have an intake manifold and an exhaust manifold. That is the correct terms. We do not have headers. Sorry.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 AM

Generally it seems to me that stock it is referred to as an 'exhaust manifold' and then called header(s) when theyve been changed out to something that is a little more directed and less restricted.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Volvo V70R

Generally it seems to me that stock it is referred to as an 'exhaust manifold' and then called header(s) when theyve been changed out to something that is a little more directed and less restricted.
On Volvo's they are called exhaust and intake manifolds. Period.

Even with you upgrade to a better manifold it is still called a manifold. "Log Manifolds", "Tubular Manifolds", Etc...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Good to know.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM

A header IS an exhaust manifold. The reason it's called a header vs. a manifold is becasue a header uses equal length tubes to vent the exhaust whereas a manifold does not. Bering that in mind....I used the wrong word. However, my orginal point being...porting and polishing a header/manifold for a turbo set up on a Volvo probably would not benefit the system. As such (and to get back to the point of the post) an air intake of any kind will not do much if anything. You're only changing one of many things in the breathing system of the car and I don't believe the air intake is the weakest link in that chain for a Volvo.

Quick Reply: BOV, boost & air intake question