Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

more power

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more power

I HAVE A 07 S60 2.5T I WANT TO MAKE IT A LITTLE BIT FASTER WITHOUT VOIDING MY WARRANTY OR KILLING MY WALLET ANY IDEAS OR BETTER YET TRIED AND TRUE MODS?????? I'AM NEW TO THIS SITE.THANK YOU

Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: more power

Welcome to the forum.

1. You want to complete what is called STAGE ZERO. Which can be found in this thread linked below.
https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm
You will also want to get a boost gauge that can read at least 25 In Hg / 25 PSI.

Stage Zero is a must do item before upgrading.

2. What is your budget?

3. What is your Hp goal?

We should start off with this to better assist you in your venture. And as far as voiding your warranty I don't know which parts would, but it wouldn't surprise me if Volvo didn't allow any mods. They are picky like that and each dealership is different in what they do and how they act.

I can tell you some parts that most people do though and in the order you should do them. Of course Stage Zero comes before all of these.

1. Intake, K&N panel filter or an EST intake, Possibly an IPD USA intake if they make one for the s60 models and or go custom.

2. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a free flowing CAT. Also look into the aftermarket compnies listed in the above link for downpipe options.

3. 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing muffler such as a BORLA or Magnaflow. Also look into the aftermarket compnies listed in the above link for catback options.

4. ECU Tuning. IPD USA, RICA and BSR PPC are the three most popular and most respected and well thought out and developed ECU tuners on the Volvo aftermarket. I would highly reccommend either of them. You can also go with smaller companies like Upsolute or SpeedTuning USA but their tunes are not as developed and personally if I didn't get a good deal on an ST USA tune I would have gone RICA or IPD USA.

*You will see the most gains with the downpipe and ECU tune.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Also nothing is going to be cheap. So don't expect to get away with spending like $500 and be done everything.

-Downpipe: $300-$1200, depends on if you go custom or prefabbed.

-Catback: $300-$2,000, depends if you go custom or prefabbed.

-Intake: $200 around

-ECU Tune: $325-$1000

-Stage Zero: $500 around

Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 PM

forgot the boost gauge, full AEM kit runs you 300

Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: BuildinAs70

forgot the boost gauge, full AEM kit runs you 300
No I didn't if you would care to scroll back up and read.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM

my budget is @ 200.00 right now and hoping for @10-15 hp gain I was looking at the down pipe but heard it will void my warranty plus she is a bit pricey. thank you for the help I am new to volvo but not in other product lines "I'am a parts manager at a ford dealer"

Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM

WILL A INTAKE KIT DO THIS AND IF SO WHICH ONE IS BEST??? ANYONE TRIED ONE HAVE GOTTEN GOOD RESULTS?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: bretm

my budget is @ 200.00 right now and hoping for @10-15 hp gain I was looking at the down pipe but heard it will void my warranty plus she is a bit pricey. thank you for the help I am new to volvo but not in other product lines "I'am a parts manager at a ford dealer"
Your budget is way low and wont buy you much if anything. I suggest you save save save.

Your Hp goal is low as well. I would think your looking for more then that. If that is all your really looking for it is a waste to spend money on your car to add performance.

WILL A INTAKE KIT DO THIS AND IF SO WHICH ONE IS BEST??? ANYONE TRIED ONE HAVE GOTTEN GOOD RESULTS?
No an intake will not net you that much Hp. It may net you 2-8 Hp max. I have an EST intake and I like it, but it isn't going to net you 10-15 Hp.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM

I have also heard the trannys on the s60 won't hold up to much more than stock hp have you seen this is it true? your est kit were did you get it and could you even feel a diff in performance?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Truth is i would like more pwr than that but worried about trany going boom and dealer not covering it

Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM

I have also heard the trannys on the s60 won't hold up to much more than stock hp have you seen this is it true? your est kit were did you get it and could you even feel a diff in performance?
I pretty sure the s60 can handle more power then it makes stock.

Secondly you need to utilize the link I provided you. Like I said it will help you out a lot in your venture into the Volvo aftermartket world.

EST = EuroSportTuning

To be honest there might be a slight more throttle response but that is about it. It is mainly for looks and sound. You may gain 2-5 Hp, may 8 max. Truly it isn't worth it. Just get a K&N panel filter or other performance panel filter and save your money.

If you want real Hp your going to have to pay for it and nothing in the Volvo world is cheap. So save your money then buy.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:36 PM

It is awesome talking to a actual tech I appreciate your time and advice on this.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM

YOU THE MAN

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM

It is awesome talking to a actual tech I appreciate your time and advice on this.
I'm not a tech at all. I have just been modding my Volvo's for a few years now and have been on many forums and just know what's up in the modding world.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM

YOU STILL THE MAN! I WENT ONTO EST AND I'AM TRYING TO CONTROL MY EXCITEMENT, ME LIKE POWER PROGRAMMER

Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 PM

EST is a nice site.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:35 PM

First you need to find a mod friendly dealer. Volvo is notorious for denying claims that should not be denied when dealing with aftermarket products.

From what I've read, I've not seen a common issue with s60 trannys. I would think with a few typical mods you would be fine. If anything I would worry about the angle gear if you have AWD. I don't know if it's the same down the s60 range, butwith the R, that is the weak link. Hope that helps

Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 AM

I would probably go with a BSR chip then, if something goes wrong u can reprogram your car to the factory settings and they wont know at all. then when u get it back, reprogram it back. run you about 1000$ is the down side lol...upside is dealer wont know, and it will add significant gains

Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM

The est intake is a rip off...bmc's carbon intake is wayyy better...I've had the est intake for almost a year and I judt got a bmc intake for my s40 and the power and response is way more present....the est robs you of soo much power when its warm out, i'd rather have a restricted air intake then a hot one thats for sure....

Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

The est intake is a rip off...bmc's carbon intake is wayyy better...I've had the est intake for almost a year and I judt got a bmc intake for my s40 and the power and response is way more present....the est robs you of soo much power when its warm out, i'd rather have a restricted air intake then a hot one thats for sure....
*Your correct, it does allow the hot air to get drawn in. However someone did dyno test with an EST intake and they got around 5-8 extra horses. Which for an intake is pretty good especially on a Volvo.

*The BMC CDA is a good intake, I would like to see dyno's for it. However it is very exspensive and hard to find. I know (VP) Viva Performance sells them, but they are mostly out of stock. As of right now they are completely out of stock in all catagories.

*The best setup even though it is restrictive is the OEM setup. Just put a K&n panel filter or OEM panel filter or other "PERFORMANCE" panel filter in there and you should see a gain of maybe 2-5 horses and slightly better throttle response.

Quick Reply: more power