Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Disintegrating Leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disintegrating Leather

I recently purchased my 2001 C70. Has tan leather interior that looked great for the age of the car...although awfully stiff. I bought some spray Lexol conditioner and wanted to clean and condition the seats to soften them up.

So, I mixed some general all purpose cleaner and warm water 1 part cleaner to 10 parts water. Using a hand and nail scrub brush I dipped it in the cleaner/water solution and firmly, but not hard, cleaned the front two seats. What I discovered was the dealer or the previous owner had used some sort of leather cover up paint to hide some blemishes. Filled in creases/cracks and covered some other blemishes too. Like right in the middle of the passenger seat back there is the top layer of leather missing... i guess is the only way to describe it. Looks like its lost its surface layer, if that make sense.

The center console/armrest has some nice black lines running through the leather as well... *sigh*

I guess what I am looking for is what product they used so that I could restore the appearance back to the way it was a week ago when I bought it. Perhaps Leatherique's products?

-Goat

Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM

um...Rule number one to clean leather..... NEVER use anything that's not a leather cleaner... That will ruin the leather more so.

I did a write up on proper leather care... click on the link and scroll towards the bottom. Becarful using "detergents"on leather, reguardless of how diluted it is. It will dry out the leather and change the pH of the leather. This will kill it!
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...520#post196520

Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Thats a good write up. I had read somewhere on this forum that someone used diluted PineSol... Figured my generic all purpose cleaner couldn't be worse. Would you recommend I find some PH balanced leather cleaner to re-PH the leather? And then re-condition with the Lexol again?

- Goat

Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Personally, I use this on my 850 seats to clean http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/Lea...are/Bick1.html then use this to condition http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/Lea...are/Bick4.html... You can also use a leather cleaner and then hit it with Lexol..... Also, Neatsfoot oil, which you can buy at walmart or most stores will work for as a leather conditioner.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM

I can find leather conditioner everywhere around here... leather CLEANER... not so easy to find. I know Amazon.com carries that Bickmore stuff. I've seen where you have promoted that product on other threads. Thanks for the reply. :-)

- Goat

Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM

I sometimes go into Sheplers (they sell cowboy boots) or sometimes order off this site if I cant get it online http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...vlocation=left Another good Name brand is Dr Jacksons Hide rejuvenator...

Old 12-14-2009, 03:12 PM

I'm avid motorcycle rider and their are some guys that SWEAR by the Langlitz Leather dressing. It sure protects and softens jacket leather well. It says right on the tub "Contains Silcone". I don't want silcone on my seats do I? I read someplace not to use silicone leather protectors on leather interiors.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
um...Rule number one to clean leather..... NEVER use anything that's not a leather cleaner... That will ruin the leather more so.

I did a write up on proper leather care... click on the link and scroll towards the bottom. Becarful using "detergents"on leather, reguardless of how diluted it is. It will dry out the leather and change the pH of the leather. This will kill it!
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...520#post196520
right! be very careful of the chemicals that you apply to leather material..i damaged my cars Door Lock Switch upholstery due to carelessnes..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 03-01-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 AM

As a furniture repairing and recovery professional, I obtain e-mails with images from people all over the nation and beyond. Sometimes they are looking for alternatives for pretty foolish activities that have triggered serious damage to their set furnishings.